New year firework escape

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

julia

New year firework escape

Post by julia »

We took Harvey for a few nights away in Cumbria over the firework nights in November, an isolated small farm miles from any bangs and noises, it was lovely not to have to see him anxious. I wanted to go back over new year, but it won't be available. Does anyone have suggestions of somewhere pet friendly, not too far from Merseyside in case of bad weather but not close to fireworks.
Cobi & Ginnie's Mum

Re: New year firework escape

Post by Cobi & Ginnie's Mum »

Julia,

I really do feel for Harvey.
Have you tried Valerian and Skullcap (Dorwest Herbs) or Zylkene (much cheaper online than from a vet) Ginnie was terrified of thunder, fireworks, when Ginnie died 5 years ago Cobi then became frightened of the same, not quite as bad as Ginnie thankfully. I found the one a day Zylkene to be more effective, neither zonks the dog out or upsets their tummies. We have in the past been away caravanning at a remote farm only to find that their neighbour is having a full scale pyrotechnic display.

Lynda :love4
julia

Re: New year firework escape

Post by julia »

Thank you for that Lynda, we have had diazepam and Kalm from the vet and I always have rescue remedy in, but I will try those you mentioned. The funny thing with Harvey is that he isn't bothered by gun shots, there is a local gun club that are very active on Sunday mornings and he totally ignores it, thank goodness. Our old dog Jasper was far worse than Harvey, I used to think he would panic himself into some sort of seizure when he heard fireworks.