Dog stairs for getting into cars

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

TracyB
New User
New User

Dog stairs for getting into cars

Post by TracyB »

Can anyone recommend a set of stairs which are good for helping my 11 year old Golden to get into my Skoda Yeti, she did not like the ramp we borrowed - too narrow and steep, but wondered if anyone on here has used the steps and if they are better!!! There are so many to choose from out there! Thank you
Cobi & Ginnie's Mum

Re: Dog stairs for getting into cars

Post by Cobi & Ginnie's Mum »

I bought a Petgear two step which was carpet covered, it was unsuitable and Amazon had it back, Cobi wouldn't even look at it, and yet she marched up and down our two step caravan step.

What kind of ramp did you try?

After seeing a young Golden walk up and down a ramp into a Freelander which was very high up, we then bought the same Solvit ramp for Cobi from Easy Animal it was well made, reasonably lightweight, telescopic (we joked that she got a 'pawdicure' as the surface was non slip and very abrasive) my husband had injured his shoulder and struggled to pick Cobi up to put her in the back of his car.

We bought another Solvit ramp last year, this is a tri-fold and better as it doesn't take up so much room when we go caravanning, I can appreciate that some of these ramps are steep depending on the height of the
4 x 4, (our VW Touareg is very high) but neither of the Solvit ramps have slipped when on the bumper of either of our cars.

Lynda
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

We have a Yeti and a ramp, the name of which I'm not sure. Woody flatly refused to use it so lifting him became the order of the day. :2007:
Willow needed little encouragement goes up and down like a good 'un. :1942:
Will look on the ramp tomorrow and post make. It is double fold with gratey non slip.
Just had a look on Amazon, lots to choose from. Make sure with a ramp that it gives the correct boot height clearance, otherwise it would be too steep.
There were quite a few steps but would they have the height needed.
On the search engine, a lot of sites for ramps for 4x4
TracyB
New User
New User

Post by TracyB »

Many thanks for the replies. Another idea a friend suggested was a sturdy collapsible box from B and Q but I'm not sure about the height. The caravan steps sound perfect though, so might have to go down that road!

Thanks again.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Our ramp is a SolVit.

Look on Amazon at the steps, quite a few that are collapsible. We have a large double step for the caravan..Millenco. but don't think it would be much good with the car. If you do manage to get something, a good idea is to use a mat cable tied to the steps. I bought a cheap door mat the hug rug type from Dunelm, cut it to size and put the clips through from back. Worked well as when dirty it gets hosed down and left to dry on its side.
You may find a plastic box would slip when upturned on tarmac etc.

Look on ebay, lots of solvit steps.
TracyB
New User
New User

Post by TracyB »

Thank you for the info. Plenty of suggestions, that's a great help.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

A caravan step is very cumbersome, rigid so would take up a lot of space and maybe not high enough. Other half says " no" to the box idea, like me would be wary of it slipping and upsetting the dog.
Good luck with the search. :2029:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

The only down side to all this is that knowing how stubborn some of our oldies( and young ones ) are it may be that after you have bought the right one for your car that your dear oldie says ' if you think I am going up that you are mistaken' Just a thought. :love4
TracyB
New User
New User

Post by TracyB »

So true Jan.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yep so true Jan, :D that's what happened to us, Paddy wouldn't get into it and neither does Lucy, so its a lift in for madam every time now...:)