Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

bentley
Senior User
Senior User

advice needed please

Post by bentley »

Hi everyone from sunny Devon.

AS I write this Bentley is having a quiet snooze right behind my chair. Honestly, if he could sit on my lap while I'm at my desk I'm sure he would. He seems to think he's a cat!!

Now he's getting on a bit I have noticed he's struggling to jump into the car as easily as he used to. I catch his back end as he jumps in now and give him a helping hand. I'm thinking
I bought some steps last year but they were a disaster. The flipping things moved while he was walking up them and we ended up having to lift him off in a hurry before he fell off. :2011: They went straight back to Amazon with a strongly worded complaint.

I'm thinking a ramp might be better for him. Do any of you have any recommendations as to a good one to get? I've been seraching online and there is a dizzying array of them and I'm all confuddled now. Bearing in mind, Bentley's a big old fella 40kg when he got weighed last month. He's not fat though. It's all bone and muscle. People keep asking me if he's a pyrenean mountain dog. I get why they say it except that he is literally half the size of one of those. Here he is witha five month old Pyrenean who dwarfs him. He's not used to dogs looking down at him.

janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: advice needed please

Post by janrobinson »

Hi Lesley, Can't believe the difference in that puppy and Bentley. However I am afraid I am no help with the ramp and things as I have never been able to get mine to use them You really need one that clips over the lip on the boot and had a broad base so as not to slip. Good luck with your search. Perhaps someone has found on that works. :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Hi Lesley from sunny Cornwall.
Had 2 ramps for Willow, the last one was a 3 section one that was really good, non slip covering. Having said that we found the easiest way was feet up then slip arm between back legs and oik up. Willow used ramp really well, Woody wouldn't entertain it. Not yet tried Fern.
Good luck with search.
Lxx
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Thanks, Lynn

he does put his feet up onto the boot edge but I can't lift him. It's always me who takes him out as Bob hasn't been well for some time so I need a 'wimps' method of getting Bentley into the car. I'll look out for the type you suggested.