Biting

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

1Harvey

Biting

Post by 1Harvey »

Sorry - I managed somehow to post my query in Rehomed Dogs, probably should be in Training or Behaviours!! 1st time user I'm afraid. We've had Harvey since he was about 10 weeks old, no rehoming involved. I'll get the hang of this eventually !!
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Re: Biting

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Hello ...... I don't mean this to sound sarcastic but does Harvey know the 'no' word, and do you use it when he does something other than jump up and bite ? When any of our dogs (past and present) behaviour is not acceptable, even when rough and tumble playtime sometimes becomes too boisterous we have said 'no' very firmly and in a louder ( no shouting) and much deeper tone than is usual. They soon comply.
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Hi there
Have been through this myself with a retriever puppy Holly years ago and know how difficult it is do deal with.She did grow out of it.I know its very hard to ignore but i think its a way of getting attention.Try distracting Harvey with training discs or a can with stones in it and throw it to the ground with a definate No and SIT.If he stops then reward him.I'm not qualified to give you proper advice but thought this may help.Wearing him out with walks and play does take the energy out of young dogs.We have a 1 1/2 year old we have called Monty from the rescue and he needs a lot of exercise or he's manic.
good luck with Harvey-great name!
love Diane Ellie (12) and Monty (1)
x67
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi,

We also had a Golden from a puppy and she did the same thing, made our hands bleed at times!
When it was playtime, we always wore a pair of thick gardening gloves, but at all other times, as Lynda has said, a change in your tone of voice, and NO is the word. It's very effective!

Good luck.