The dog whisperer

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Eastonwolfs

The dog whisperer

Post by Eastonwolfs »

Hi everyone, :1969

We have only recently started watching sky tv here...and have become fascinated by the programme the dog whisperer...

I can't think why we didn't watch it before as I've seen it on other channels but I think I watched one programme and thought he was a bit too harsh at times, now I've watched a few some of his methods make more sense...

Just wondering what others thought...

Do you watch it?
Do you like it/think its any good?
Have you learned anything from it?

AND...

Who's the pack leader in your house? :2091:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: The dog whisperer

Post by janrobinson »

Hi Susan,

I just love the dog whisperer he is wonderful. Some of the things he does can be adapted to your own use but Some should not be done. The fact that he is not frightened and if a dog bites him he stands his ground and carries on would be very dangerous for anyone else.

A lady rang me one day and said she was having trouble with her dog he was a bit grumpy and only young so she had watched the programme and decided that next time she would hold the dog down by his neck and then she would be boss. Well you can guess the outcome. Quite a long time in casualty. But you can also guess my reply "" That serves you right. It's your own fault. They do tell you on the programme not to try this at home.

Nevertheless I love watching him. I think he is a a really nice young man. I just wish I could skateboard with my dogs but a bit late for me :2005: but I am sure I am the pack leader well Bonnie says I can call myself that anyway.
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

We have watched the Dog whisperer and found some of his techniques interesting. You must have confidence and trust with your dogs. If you see anyone who lacks confidence with their dog then avoid them.

In our house Big Jazz is pack leader.
[img][IMG]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm21 ... dy0003.jpg[/img][/img]

P, S J & C
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Can't see your picture P S J & C
sonia
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sonia »

I love Ceasar think he talks a lot of sense :2004:
Here is the link for the photo Jan http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm21 ... dy0003.jpg
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Thank for that Sonia. It is a lovely picture. P.S.J.& C have sent me a few like that in the post so will put them in the album.
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Thank you Sonia for providing the link to the photo of Big Jazz.
Do not know what we are doing wrong with the photobucket web site but it has changed a bit.
Pat , Syd , Jazz & Candy :1999: :1963
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

P.S.J. & C.
Lovely picture of BJ. Oh he does like being in the water. Super.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yes love Cesar also got one of his books so can refer to it at anytime.Would love to spend a day with him, it just shows how many dogs have hang ups because of humans...I had a lady on the phone the other day telling me that her dog was food agressive,but great in every other way, it turned out that she takes away his food half way through his dinner.I asked "why" well it shows I am the pack leader.!!! what tosh, how would you like it if you were just tucking into a nice plate of steak and chips and someone took it off you half way through, you wouldnt be pleased. I never thought of it like that she said!,

Give him his dinner and leave him alone I said....Two weeks later she rang me to tell me that he was fine now..... :|
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Just shows how daft folk are when they think it is O K to take a dogs food from it to show you are boss. Whatever next. It only takes a few minutes, seconds in the case of a Golden. to eat their food. Let them eat it in peace I say. Why are they told these stupid ways where do they get them from. Is it from some behaviour book or is it just bad trainers imparting foolish information. :2004: