Pulling on lead!

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Charlie's Angel

Pulling on lead!

Post by Charlie's Angel »

I have just had the most amazing walk with my boy! :1969

We've been trying a few different methods of trying to stop him pulling on walks, treats, harnesses, head collars, but today i tried something different!

I apologise if it's nothing new or exciting to anyone but i've never thought to try this.
Basically, get a longer length lead and attach it to the collar holding it in the left hand with your dog on the left too. Then with the surplus lead wrap it round the their chest loosely just above their forelegs and hold the end of the lead in your right hand. When they try to pull or walk too far forward, use the lead to gently pull them back to place. When they are walking how they should, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE!!!! :1971

I know this is really simple and basic and pretty much like them wearing a harness, but this has worked so much better. Charlie doesn't like wearing a harness and if he had a choice, he wouldn't wear his gentle leader either so this is a really comfortable way for him to learn how he should walk on the lead.

Has anyone else tried this way of lead training? And have you had much success? Otherwise what method do you recommend?
Caro_D

Re: Pulling on lead!

Post by Caro_D »

Hi CA

Havent tried this, but did have a time with the halti. The downside I found was that it didnt actually cure the pulling. Of course it immediately stopped it when I used it, but even after a couple of months of use, if I went without it, the pulling on a normal lead was back immediately. Having the time, I then reverted to the ' stop and/or change direction'.

It is time consuming so being realistic an awfull lot of owners just cant take 20 minutes to walk 100 yards, but if you can, I do think it acheives the best results. You must be consistant, so dont just 'train' on a weekend, and of course its only the first few weeks that it takes forever to actually get to your destination. But in the long term, it completely cured the pulling. The key is, at any point they take up the strain, stop walking. You can either just wait and then continue, or take a few steps back, or better still turn round. Its very effective in a park where you can constantly change direction. He then has to follow you, not vice versa. Strangely enough, during this time I was also training off lead 'heel' during his schooling sessions, but the conflict appeared to be as soon as the lead was then put back on. I could ask for heel, which he did beautifully off lead, but on the lead he'd just pull ahead ignoring the command, hence the 'stop/change direction' approach. It really didnt take too long, I would say 4 - 6 weeks to completely cure it, but at any time you mustnt allow the old 'pulling' to creep back in. Now he doesnt think about it at all............
Charlie's Angel

Re: Pulling on lead!

Post by Charlie's Angel »

I didn't find the halti particularly good. The trainer we used in his obedience classes said to try using it, particularly as he getting big and stronger than i am!

We've not really focused much on heal work off lead as our main focus was being able to enjoy loose lead walking him. Will definately be trying that.

Since i've been trying this method he has been absolutely amazing on his walks. We took him to Bradgate Park at the weekend and a lady and her daughter came up to us to give him a fuss and she commented on how lovely he was walking by our side. She used to have Goldies herself so she was giving him loads of praise and fuss. It made me feel so proud of him seeing all the hard work pay off. :love4