One to watch tonight.

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

superjazz

One to watch tonight.

Post by superjazz »

On BBC 2 tonight at 2100 hrs is the "Secret Life of a dog"
Scientific research into the unique bond between dogs and humans.
Could be worth a look.
P, S J & C
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: One to watch tonight.

Post by lynn wise »

Definately watching that one Syd.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

So will I. Do you think we will learn anything?
Molly's Maid

Post by Molly's Maid »

I saw it. It was interesting stuff although it worries me slightly that scientists seem to have their eyes on dogs as research subjects. If they're just taking blood and mapping genomes that's OK - but scientists through the ages have not been known for knowing when to stop when it comes to animal testing.

Mainly I came away from the programme thinking two things.

1. I WANT A TAME FOX!

2. That collie who knows hundreds of words was just showing off!

I don't mean it of course. Molly scared off a potential intruder last night wth a vicious-sounding bark I've never heard from her before (and a very waggy tail!) I wouldn't swap her for all the foxes or talking dogs on the planet.

It must be love.

:love5
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I taped it and watched it this afternoon and was not impressed. I thought all those lovely wild foxes kept in such small cages was criminal. What good was this experiment?

The collie was very bright, but collies are. Taping dogs barking any one of us could have told him what those barks meant.

As you say Julie, experimenting is worrying.

Grumpy old women have nothing on me.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Didnt think it told us much either, did you see that lovely golden ? everyone knows Collies are one of the most intelligant dogs so that collie doing her stuff was no surprise, and of course us dog lovers know what joy they bring to us...As for the foxes in those cages, I felt like putting that daft old woman in one.... :2029:
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

We thought the conditions the foxes were kept in was deplorable. Quite agree about putting the old woman in a cage. Nice to see a happy Golden in the documentary though.
P, S J & C
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Cages and research,Just not my cup of tea!!
Enough said. :2005:
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Like you Lynn we didn't watch it.... I can't stand to see animals in cages or experiments performed on animals, and I usually have had an hour asleep in the chair by then anyway....... this is probably going to sound cocky... Mum's first retriever Gemma knew lots of words...Gemma would find Mum the ball, bell (bone shaped with bells in each end) hat, numerous toys and eventually got fed up of going backwards and forwards and would then put all the toys into the hat as they we asked for and then drag it to Mum, she could also open and close the back door, and one day Mum and Dad were talking in the lounge when Gemma opened the door and Mum remarked that it was cold, bang the back door was firmly shut and then Gemma came into the lounge dragging Mum's anorak, dumped it by Mum's feet as much to say there now put that on. Gemma knew whata newspaper was and must have been listening our conversations as when in company someone would ask to look at the paper (newspaper was the full size type) she would gently go and grab the middle where it folded whilst it was being read and take it to the person who had asked for it. She would have made an excellent hearing dog for the deaf or to help someone who was disabled. A very clever golden who sadly only lived to be 8. Jade was the daughter of Gem.... thick as 2 short planks but very loving and adorable.