One meal or two

Tips, advice and discussion on training related matters

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

marianne

One meal or two

Post by marianne »

I feed my dog, in the morning, then again after we have had our food, normally about 5 ish.
I meet lots of other dog owners who only feed their dogs once a day, my Jasper loves his food , is it better to feed once or twice ? :thumbleft
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Re: One meal or two

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Always fed my dogs twice a day..... a third of their food in the morning, about 7ish, and then the rest in the afternoon... Cobi starts campaigning for her dinner from 2pm !!!!! :1960 it is usually at least 3ish when she gets it, Ginnie bless her, never questions or demands anything.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Twice a day here too.

Always thought, would I want to be fed only once a day...NO It must be awful to wait 24 hours for your next meal.

Started this regime years ago when our first Golden was getting on a bit, thought it better for her tummy to have 2 smaller meals. It then became the norm for all the ones that followed.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Twice a day. and after 10 years I would say three times a day. Easier for them to digest small amounts instead of a great dollop landing in their stomach.

Never ever just once.
marianne

Post by marianne »

Good to hear, I will stick to 2 meals, I would feel a bit cruel feeding him once.Especially as his routine is after the walk he waits by the back door next to his bowl sitting there to be fed. And he does love his food, and ours and the cats. :1952:
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Is it only Goldens have that certain look....... when it comes to food.... or haven't finished what a goldens does best..... a walk spoils a good sniff....

Cobi frowns and glares at me with as much contempt as she can muster.... and the look says it all ............ 'do you not know what time it is ?, can you not hear my stomach is rumbling!!!!
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Our 2 are fed in the afternoon at 4.30. It is now 3.25, already beating time in the kitchen by the dinner cupboard. You have to admire their insistence that it is NOW TIME MUM.
:2090:
Molly's Maid

Post by Molly's Maid »

Definitely twice but we are a bit later than most of you. Breakfast comes around 9am and tea comes on the menu any time after 6pm. We wait until we've had ours before feeding Molly - it's supposed to be a pack thing.

The routine is more important than the specific times I think.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I agree routine is very important. Dogs like a routine and usually get into it well before you have realised it is a routine.. Then Woe betide you if you deviate.

I like to feed mine ( at teatime) before I have mine and then their tummies are full and they aren't pacing about waiting for their tea they are happy to go to sleep. Works for me. :2373: :2381:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yes twice a day for my two small beakfast then around 5ish their tea, and like Jan when we have our tea, they are having a sleep... :)