A sad day for us! An Update 13/12/13

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Mark Andrew

A sad day for us! An Update 13/12/13

Post by Mark Andrew »

We lost our first rescued retriever William yesterday to cancer after over11 years of unconditional love. We met him at the Kennels and after that innocent walk down the lane, he came home with us and helped us mend our broken heats after we lost our first retriever Charlotte. He was 11 mths old when we got him, thin and totally unused to walks or stairs but on Jan's advice with food and cuddles he blossomed into a real gentlemen, he walked like a lion and was just so gentle and stoical and he had real benign presence, he hadn't got a nasty bone in his body though he bullied us to death in the mornings when he wanted to go for a walk. We got him a friend from Jan, Ben and they became a double act though different as chalk and cheese, they perfected picnic theft and mugging carelessly held ice cream cones. William loved the Lakes and I have a lovely picture of him above Ullswater which was used on the Calendar a few year ago.
The end was quick fortunately - William slowed down very quickly after March and we thought he was losing weight, we kept a close eye on him and the vet identified a lump in his abdomen ,he had some tests which suggested liver abnormality too and we decided to see if it was operable, the vet identified secondaries and we decided it was kindest to let him go. I know what we did was kindest for him, but the sense of loss is black and oppressive and I feel that my heart is broken. I cant believe we will never see him again and I desperately want to look back at the pictures I have of him, but I cant yet!
It was a privilege to have had William in our lives for 11 years and I know he loved being with us - I also know that William would not want Ben to be unhappy or lonely and we have decided that he would have wanted us to speak to Jan and maybe help another unfortunate.

I'll keep you posted when the tears and sense of loss have eased a little
Last edited by Mark Andrew on Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: A sad day for us!

Post by lynn wise »

Mark, so very sorry to read your sad news, you sound devastated. It sounds like you gave your boy the most loving and caring of lives, and I'm sure he appreciated that, and the company of his friend.
Never an easy decision to make when you let your beloved dogs walk over the bridge, but you made a caring last thing for him with help from your vet.
So many of us will understand the grief you are feeling at this time, our thoughts are with you.
:bighug:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi Mark,

I am so very sorry that you have had to say goodbye to your beautiful boy. The great love you had for William gave you the courage to let him go with the peace and dignity he so deserved.

Everyone on here will know how heartbroken and sad you are feeling right now, but maybe in time you will be able to share your memories and pictures of William with us all.

In our thoughts at this sad time,
Ella's mum.
vickic

Post by vickic »

Words are never enough at a time like this, so just to say our thoughts are with you.

Kind regards

Vicki, John, Flossie and Dora
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Mark,

I am so very sorry to hear about William. You must be devastated. He sounds like he was a proper gentleman - with bags of character. He must have been a smart boy to have picked himself a family who loved him as much as you obviously did. Our thoughts are with you.

Lesley
Last edited by bentley on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Hi Mark, we are so sad to hear that you had to say goodbye to your beloved William, you will hold his memories with you forever . He must have had a very happy loving life with you and Ben and gave you so much happiness back. When the time comes to take in a new needy golden I'm sure William would approve. :1958: :love2
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I know how much you loved William and I know he had a wonderful loved life with you. We can let them go peacefully and painlessly and in time give our love to another lost soul without ever diminishing the love we had for previous beloved friends.

I am thinking of you

xx
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

......a dogs love is unconditional............ :love4

....so sorry to hear about William, I remember the photographs on the calendar.... they still are lovely photographs......xxx
Mark Andrew

Post by Mark Andrew »

Thank you all for your very kind thoughts , it means a great deal from kindred spirits
rosndognme

Post by rosndognme »

Mark Andrew wrote: We got him a friend Ben and they became a double act ... they perfected picnic theft and mugging carelessly held ice cream cones.
That comment did make me smile, even at such a sad time as this ... and I'm sure those memories will live on forever and make you smile too.

I have been where you are now and I know how much it hurts, but the passing of time does ease the pain and I am sure the day will come when you will be able to look back through those photos and remember all the happy times you spent with William
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

[quote="janrobinson"]I know how much you loved William and I know he had a wonderful loved life with you. We can let them go peacefully and painlessly and in time give our love to another lost soul without ever diminishing the love we had for previous beloved friends.

Couldnt of said it any better....

Sorry for your loss Mark, run free William.... :2024:
Mark Andrew

Re: A sad day for us! An Update 23/07/13

Post by Mark Andrew »

I do have an update for you , a newly rescued Goldie has arrived in the Andrew household. After Jan telling us that she had no dogs currently available I put a few feelers out and was talking to the RSPCA in Norfolk. They had had a dog we missed as he had been rehomed the day before but they put me on to a lady in South Wales who had a couple of ex puppy farm dogs both 4 year olds. We went to have a look and they were in a real state and we were quite upset and worried about the extent of the neglect. Whilst we were there we were told about a dog who had arrived from Southern Ireland the day before - his owner had died from cancer 10 weeks before and the family couldn't cope - they knew Sylvia (who works in Southern Ireland quite a bit) and had asked her to rehome him. Anyway the upshot is the dog with an unpronounceable gaelic name ( Now called Paddy) was introduced to Ben and he's come home with us. Paddy is 3 years old neutered, chipped and has a full vaccination history and is a lovely lad who is very eager to please and simply loves people. He's done a great job in helping us on refocusing from our loss.

So we no longer have a vacancy - we would have loved another one from Jan, but are sure she appreciates our position. We have every intention in continuing our support for Northwest Retriever rescue and are still in awe of the work she does for these wonderful animals - She gave us the rescue bug and it will continue probably until we need rehoming ourselves!

Thanks again everyone for caring
Mark, Sharon, Bill and Paddy
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

This is good news for Paddy and I am sure for Ben. We shall all look foward to seeing your new addition.

xx :love4
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Great news, I'm sure Paddy will heal part of your broken hearts. I hope will will be able to see paddy soon , as a honorary nwgrr dog I'm sure everyone will be so happy with such a happy outcome both for you and Paddy.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Lovely news to hear about 'Paddy' as he desperately needed a good home and now he has found a great home with you all.

We needed a distraction for our grief in 2005, we had lost Jasmine (12) and then Abigail 10yrs (which was a shock) 11 weeks apart, but Ginnie had lost her two pals, I don't know what I'd have done without Jan's advice .....6 days later Cobi came to us from Jan, Cobi was one hell of a distraction, for many reasons.

It's so lovely to hear that Ben has another pal. :love4