Does your Golden do this??

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lisa70

Does your Golden do this??

Post by lisa70 »

When we have all been out of the house and George is left on his own when we come back he walks around with a toy in his mouth sounding like a seal until we fuss him and give him a love and carries on until he gets a fuss... I sometimes think he's human.. :1958: Just wondering whether they all do this or its something that just George does? It is quite funny especially with the sound of a seal..
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Does your Golden do this??

Post by lenny »

Its compulsory for a retriever to greet you with something in its mouth, making a growling sound, just as it is that the owners have to make a fuss of them back,does George turn his back, on you so you just cant quite reach the toy. Yes you have a fully fledged golden. :love5 I have lost track of the times Ive compared mine to being just like having children, except, they dont whinge and moan. :thumbleft
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

All our Goldens have done the "present" thing, as Lenny says, it's compulsory for a Golden. The back turning is almost their way of saying, " you can look, but don't touch" with the usual waggy bottom in full thro'. Aren't they the most delightful breed, all the little traits they have.
The world wouldn't be the same without them. :love4
gilliedew

Post by gilliedew »

All our dogs have had one thing or another which they were special for

Oscar, our first was such a laugh

Every night at exactly 7pm he would go into the kitchen, get something, walk out into the lounge and making that same noise so we would all look at him and then parade around everyone showing us what he had brought until we all told him what a clever boy he was. How he knew it was 7 pm we never knew, was it because the music for Emmerdale came on the TV but this theory didnt work at the weekends when it was exactly the same procedure.

Dudley would sit on my husbands lap and put his head around the back of my husbands neck like a scarf, none of our other dogs ever did this.

Gillie, had a huge Teddie which she lugged everywhere. She just took to it when we first had her and every morning, rain or shine it had to go out with them first thing to have a wee, dragged out by the ribbon round its neck, poor thing.

Oliver would always put his head in your lap and keep it there.

Dont you just love them for all their ways, I know I do. :love2
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Ella does exactly the same thing, and if she can't find a toy....panic....then any old thing will do.

This morning, we had the same old "song and dance". As usual, she didn't want to get in car, she kept running back into the house and bringing a toy as if to say.."You can have all my toy's if I don't have to get in there". We ended up with the lot on the driveway :2029:

Needless to say, we got her there in the end.....front feet on the boot, heave the backside in, :1945:
lisa70

Post by lisa70 »

Yes he does turn his back on us so we get the waggie tail in our face with a look saying i have been a good boy now i want some attention he's soooooo sweet and such a good boy. He has the run of the house in the mornings when we're out and he never does anything just lies under the living room window waiting for me to come home and up pops his head as soon as he hears the car... Such an intelligent breed as well... :1951: :1952:
I have found my best friend and i am sure everyone else feels the same way about there little sweethearts.. :love4
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yes my two do the same Lucy and her blanket, Paddy and his ball,its a Golden thing, our lives would be much duller without them... :1958:
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

After we have been out, we are greeted by Sam trying to carry as many of his toys as he can get into his mouth. So far, three at one go!! And he always turns his back and looks coy. Just another of the Goldens little foibles!!
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Snowy, loves to greet my wife at the door when she comes home from work and, helps(hinders really) carry her handbag or any shopping she has done into the house. The only thing is when we go on a walk and we happen to stop for a chat with any one, Snowy grabs any shopping bags they are carrying, very funny for any one watching. Emily has learnt a new trick as well. When we go out we have to take her ball, but now she knows that when we get to any hill or slope she drops the ball and then chases it , and I do mean any slope or hill, its ok when you are walking down the hill, but not much fun when you've got to the top of a steep hill for her to drop it all the way back down again.But we love them both. :love6
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Our first ever Golden, Bracken, absolutely adored bags. An elderly lady that we had both worked with in the long distant past loved her to bits. If we met in the village, usually her shopping day on a friday, she always let Bracken look into the shopping bag. There was always some roast beef in there for tea time sarnys. Amy always opened the bag and gave Bracken a little taste.
Now that was fine until anyone else walked by with a shopping basket, in went the head, and there was me appologising profusely. Amy once gave her a pea pod, so then when we went past the greengrocers, Bracken would do a quick thieving act. Oh the embarressment. Had to walk down the other side after a while so as not to incur the wrath of the owner :2007:
Oh fond memories. Bracken also liked wooly hats, many is the time she's stolen one off a poor unsuspecting head. :2026:
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

We bought Sam one of those rope toys with a big know in the middle and one at each end. Some time later we went to Buxton and were walking down the Precinct, when I suddenly realised he had nicked an identical rope toy from a large basket outside the pet shop. I retrieved the rope toy from Sam and ran back and replaced it in the basket, hoping that a large hand would not grip my shoulder en route!!
Our Goldens are real characters, aren't they? I think they have far more nous than we credit them with. They certainly seem to be one jump ahead of us much of the time!
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Is it funny how they have similar traits... Gemma used to steal hats.. nowadays you would be paying compensation out for her jumping up and stealing them. Mum always used to say to her, go and find Mum something nice.....she came back with a tea towel out of someones caravan awning once and surprisingly we all became great friends with the owner of the tea towel, and she picked up my Nan's handbag and went walking off across the room with it....I'd never seen my Nanny move that fast.

We were caravanning in Scotland and were weren't parked where we usually were, we were a few pitches away... and suddenly Abigail marched over to where we usually parked, stood outside a caravan occupying that pitch, barked once, and then returned and lay down outside as much to say, ' I've told them we park there!'

Both of them are always carrying a toys about, every night and during the day their toys get put away, but our lounge is littered with them after a couple of hours....another 'game they play' is whenever I pick the phone up and I'm talking... it's their playtime, someone told me that children react the same way.. don't know... only ever had golden retrievers, and they 'backchat when I tell them off, and flop down and sigh with a huff and puff, Cobi starts with Hmmmmmm Hmmmmm Hmmmmm, I then know that it is 3pm and it's dinnertime.

I remember one of those rope toys Christmas 2005 it must have been 'dropped' or placed :1958: right under the bottom step of the stairs and I went head long across the floor, Ginnie and Cobi leapt on top of me thinking we were all playing a new game :1967
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Now then, have got a new one to add to the list.

Our Willow has started to do something with her bottom jaw. Sorry, might sound strange. She's got into the habit just recently of chattering her lower jaw, almost like she's sucked on a lemon ( for want of a better description ) It looks so funny when she does this, can't help but laugh at her. It usually happens when she concentrates on givng you the eyeball treatment, like I WANT. I imagine it is something like a cramp effect, either way it's funny. :1960
Molly's Maid

Post by Molly's Maid »

Molly does the toy thing with her soft frog toy.

But she's discerning about her toys. If I get a few dog biscuits and sit on the sofa, I can say, "Go find Froggie" and she'll root through her entire toy box to find the frog, bring it to me and get her reward. Then it's "Where's the chicken?" and off she goes for the chicken toy. "Fetch Pussy" is always the final one on the list and she knows that after the cat's in the fetched pile, the game's all over. :thumbleft

It's all very endearing. This morning the gas man came to read the meter and was presented with a pair of knickers form the washing pile. That's NOT so endearing! :2005:

She's also extremely "helpful" when I'm using the computer mouse. Her chin rests on my hand and she won't be deterred by anything less than belly rubbing and smooches.

They certainly know how to get what they want.
marianne

Post by marianne »

Yes, jasper always greets us with a toy, and makes funny noises we call him Scooby Doo, and he does n,t just wag his tail his whole bottom goes from side to side.