Bentley's Epilepsy Update

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Bentley's Epilepsy Update

Post by bentley »

Poor little chap has been through the wars recently.

After a brilliant start with the homoeopathic remedies, we got two whole months out of that. Then he started to have seizures again. If we could catch it early enough we could stop it with the homoeopathic remedy belladonna but we didn't always get enough warning and it felt a bit like Russian roulette so we decided to go down the conventional medicine route.

He started to take a new drug, drug of the year in fact, called Pexion. Without the liver implications and side effects of phenobarbital it seemed like the answer to our prayers.

How wrong can you be?

He went 33 days without having a seizure, the longest he'd gone for ages, I'd have expected three in that time frame. So far so good.

Then we travelled to deepest, darkest Wales for a heelwork to music competition. I knew we were punching above our weight after winning last time and moving up into the next level before we were ready but I thought it would be a nice, no pressure outing with the 'big kids'. After finding a nice dog friendly hotel we practised our routine in the garden and Bentley was amazing; sharp as a pin, funny, engaging and clearly enjoying himself. Wow! " We could actually come away with something if he's like this tomorrow."

Famous last words.

At 4.30 a.m. Bentley had a seizure. As soon as he started to come out of it he had another, and then another. He's only ever had single seizures before.

I truly thought he was going to die. After what seemed like a lifetime but was actually probably only about three minutes, he started to come round. As he did so he peed all over the hotel bed that he'd jumped onto immediately before the seizure and then fell off it, knocking the bedside table, lamp, clock, keys and cup flying. Damn that dog can move fast during a seizure, we had no chance of stopping him falling. I bet the other hotel guests thought there was domestic going on, I half expected the police to turn up.

Why didn't we lift him off the bed? Try lifting a five stone, thrashing dog and you'll have your answer. He was all over the place.

The next hour and a half we spent desperately trying to cool him down and calm him down. That involved standing on a hotel car park in the pouring rain and wind with a howling, whining, pacing, barking dog. Bob desperately tried to find a vet, the nearest one of which was half an hour way. I didn't dare put Bentley in the car in case he had another cluster of fits. We have discovered, the hard way, that travelling, or being away from home, is definitely a trigger for him.

He refused to go under the canopy so we continued to stand in the rain. Sigh. Wet. Cold. Upset. Miserable. Not how I imagined our weekend at all.

At 6.30 he had calmed down enough to get him back inside. Needless to say we did not compete. Instead we paid for the extra night we didn't stay and for the damage to the room and went home.

It turns out that Pexion has been responsible for many dogs having cluster seizures when they have never had them before and there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of lots of dogs having to be put to sleep. Apparently there is a call for the manufacturers to withdraw the drug and test it further before more dogs lose their lives. Well. It certainly took a while for that little nugget to surface.

Fast forward to yesterday. We went to our own vet. We have decided that although we didn't want to do it, phenobarbital seems to be a safer option. He started to take it yesterday and to be honest all of the dreadful side effects I've been expecting haven't happened - yet - although he is whiny and clingy and definitely acting out of character.

Keep your fingers crossed for us. Here he is on our walk this afternoon.

And again with our youngest granddaughter.

Sorry for the rambling post.
Last edited by bentley on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Bentley's Epilepsy Update

Post by lynn wise »

OMG Lesley, what a terrible time, do so hope you have ALL recovered from that episode. Poor Bentley, so sorry that he's got to go through all this, such a grand lad.
Fingers crossed that you are now on a good regime of treatment.
:love4
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Oh dear me how dreadful for you all. I am sure now you are on the conventional medication it keep him on the straight & narrow. thinking of you :love4
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Poor Bentley.....do hope this medication works well for him. :love4
RUSSELL lumb
Senior User
Senior User

Post by RUSSELL lumb »

Hi

we hope Bentley goes on ok with is new medication and wish all the best
in this worrying times for you

Bridget-Russell and a woff from Jasper for Bentley
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

So very sorry to read about poor Bentley's latest attack. What a terrible time for you all in the hotel.WE hope the latest medication has the desired effect. Best wishes to you all.
Pat , Syd & Katie
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Thank goodness he is feeling better now He certainly puts you through it at times, poor Bently . He's such a wonder dog with a special family, We hope he calms down a bit for a while at least. :love5
KDB

Post by KDB »

just read the post... poor Bentley. I can only imagine how scary that must have been for you all. We hope that the medication Bentley is now taking controls his condition and that he quickly returns to health and gets up to his amusing antics very soon. love Karen, Sam, Ollie and Barney :love4
Linda

Post by Linda »

Just read your post, Lesley...it must be so upsetting to see him go through this. Hopefully his current medication settles him down a bit. Keep us updated on how he's doing.
Give Bentley a big hug from us :love4
Linda, Terry & Honey
milo's mum

Post by milo's mum »

oh dear leslie....poor bentley. hopefully this medication will settle his seizures. i hope the b+b was understanding towards the damage caused as well.....and why do things like this always happen when you don't have your regular vet handy?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

So sorry to hear about Bentley. I do hope everything works out with the change of medication. Wishing you all the very best.
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments and your support.

We are still struggling on. Bentley had two fits yesterday, right out of the blue. One in the morning and one in the evening.

On the plus side I have learnt how to administer rectal diazepam with only the two hands I have and not the four I thought I needed. One to hold his head, one to hold his rear end, one to keep my glasses on while I lean at a very unnatural angle to get the stuff in him, one to squeeze the contents out of the tube. :1963

I've also found a couple of really helpful websites that give tons of great advice about living with a dog with epilepsy.

Back at the vets this morning for an increase in the dosage of his meds, blood tests and to top up on the emergency diazepam. I'm still waiting for him to settle down from when he started on phenobarbital. He's spent the last week and a half constantly whining and climbing onto my lap at any given opportunity. He's veering between tired, manic, depressed, bonkers and totally unpredictable at the moment and here we are giving him more of the stuff! :2029: I just want my Bentley back. :love5

Poor little blighter has also managed to pick up an ear infection.

Sorry to be miserable. Fair to say I'm very concerned at the moment.
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

So very sorry to read about the poor lad and his latest attacks, we do hope the Web sites give some helpful advice. Our thoughts are with you at this traumatic time.it's such a shame it should happen to such a lovely dog.best wishes for abreakthrough.
Pat,Syd and Katie
KDB

Post by KDB »

Hi Lesley poor Bentley is really having a rough time isn't he, it's so hard when you can't explain to them what's happening. I know that you'll be giving the lad lots of love and encouragement and I'd like to offer you the same... hopefully the right dose for Bentley will be discovered soon and he can enjoy a full life again. Take care Karen x :bighug:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

What can we say. Just to let you know that we are all thinking of you and hoping this will soon be sorted for you all :love4