Omega 3 & Dogs.

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

hairydog

Omega 3 & Dogs.

Post by hairydog »

My Paddy is 5 at Xmas he is still running around like a mad fool and will run for a ball all day long, but whilst talking to a fellow golden friend the other day her male golden is around the same age as Paddy and she has put him on Omega 3 tablets, her vet advised this he said it is better than cod liver oil and the sooner he goes on it the better it will help his joints in later life.
He is like Paddy from working stock and she does compete with him so I can see her point to doing this, but it did get me thinking,every little helps so do any of you give supplements like this for your dog.At present both mine do get the cod liver oil and Paddy gets 1 glucosamine per day for his joints,I had heard that Omega 3 is the purest of all the fish oils but it can give them the runs...any thoughts.??
julie

Joint Vitamins

Post by julie »

We think Honey is about 9-10years old now (she came to Jan as a stray). She has a Joint Vitamin every day - Vetzymne from the pet supermarket. It has the glucosine and condroitine mix like in mine.

She takes it no problem - possibly because we call it a sweet and she already recognised "treat" as a reward command. Maybe the Markie that follows plays a part too!

I've started her in good health in the hope of delaying or easing any future joint problems as we don't know her background. I have steered away from cod liver oil capsules as they made my last dog sick within 10-20 minutes. Anybody else had this reaction?

She also has the Ped. Chum. joint sticks but like the teeth cleaner ones she's not too fussed on them.
John

Post by John »

Quite frankly, I hate suppliments without reason. I dont take them for myself and I dont give them to my dogs.

But if you really want to, then fish body oils are safer than Cod Liver oil, on which it is possible to overdose with serious risks. This is exactly the same as with humans. As you know Kathryn, I give my dogs a tin of Pilchards in Tomato Sauce for Sunday lunch every week, which is high in Omega3.

Anna did start getting little twinges at about 8 years old, partly I'm sure due to the operation she had, but also from all the fence jumping, swimming in freezing water and then standing around getting cold when working. At that point I started her on "Flexivet" and she is a different dog again. This season she will be retired from full time employment and start part time work whilst Amy, who was on work experience last year goes full time. :wink:

Regards, John
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Thanks John yes my two also get the tinned pilchards in tomato sauce,did wonder about the Omega 3 though my friend as I mentioned before she works her Golden so he is over fences etc, so I think she was just trying to think ahead...will try the omega 3 and see how it goes. :)
Thanks.