Wet Eczema

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Wickets mum

Wet Eczema

Post by Wickets mum »

Hi all - I havent been on for a while - its always great to look at the pictures and catch up on what these lucky goldies have been up to.
I am afraid that Wick is really not himself at all - on Friday I noticed the smallest spot on his skin under his chin. It looked like a grass seed but on Saturday morning it was obvious that it was getting a bit sore. He has a touch of wet eczema last year on the back of his head and after a vet nurse shaved his hair and a few salt water rinses it all disappeared. Well, I called the vets on Saturday morning and asked if I could bob him in. The receptionist said no and the next appointment was 5pm on Monday - I am gutted that I didnt argue harder! Ater spending all weekend trying to stop him scratching Wicks chest is now so sore - the vet has shaved him this afternoon and we have antibiotics, cream and he has had a jab. I cant help thinking that I could have avoided this if that cranky lady on the desk would have just let me take him in. My poor boy.
Has anyone else had any dealings with wet eczema? They tell me it is common in goldies. It is awful! I am watching him like a hawk trying to stop him scratching, the vet was really unhelpful- the whole experience with them this time has been really dissapointing! Hopefully the itching will calm down and I will get the old wick back soon.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Wet Eczema

Post by lynn wise »

Woody had it on his bottom, both sides of his mouth, and elbows. The antibiotics, plus salt water wash did the trick. It looks so angry once the hair is trimmed away but soon responds to treatment. Sorry that you had to wait for an appointment, it may well have not got out of hand if he had been seen sooner. Poor lad, hope he is tickle free very soon.
:love4
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

This is a tip given to me by a very experienced Golden Retriever person, (even more than me)

As soon as you see a hot spot or if it has broken out cut the hair off and cover in dry cornflour. and keep applying it. You can clean it off if it gets gungy and reapply This will keep it under control until you can get to a vet. Even if they have had a good scratch and the skin is red put some on.

If you get on top of it soon enough you may not need vet treatment.
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

I always try to keep a tube of fuciderm in the house - its from the vet but our vets are usually very good and sell me a spare one.. as soon as there is any sign of a skin problem i start to use that immediatly