Bereavement

Got a question about your dog? Ask it here - members will share their experiences and try to help you

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

oscar12

Re: Bereavement

Post by oscar12 »

oh dear i can barely see through the tears, it is the first anniversary of our beloved Oscar and this week I held my lovely Bonnie, aged 13, while our vet helped her pass away with peace and dignity. Its the words in that lovely poem that have set me off again.... the third time I have held one of my dogs and it never gets any easier to do.
I have a dog fretting but his routine is helping I think, he will like me get better with time.
Danielle, Liverpool
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Danielle,
So very very sorry to hear about Bonnie. We're thinking of you at this awful time. Hope the lad isn't beside himself fretting. Take care, Lynn.
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Danielle,
So sorry to hear your sad news. Bonnie must have had a wonderful life with you, and you have let her go with much sadness, but also with compassion, the last loving thing you could do for her.

We are thinking of you all,
Jean.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Danielle,

I'm so sorry to hear about Bonnie, it never gets any easier, because they take a piece of your heart with them. But you have to remember the good times over and over again and then you begin to eventually smile and then laugh about the things that they got up to throughout their lives, and then the sadness fades with each passing year.

Lynda
hope

Post by hope »

We are truly sorry for your loss.... we lost ours in march and his brother was terrible he lost 18lbs in weight we had a terrible time, each dog is different whats right for one may not be right for another, its november now and although we cant mention his name in front of him he is starting to come round a little now, we have always loved him but we give him that little bit extra (if thats at all possible) he has now put on 6lbs so we are getting there. I have no words of wisdom i can only say give him love and time . we are hoping to adopt a rescue next year . we love having 2. take good care and our hearts really do go out to you :arrow: :2003:
Last edited by hope on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

Oh Danielle, I am really sorry to hear about Bonnie.

You gave her a wonderful life and the chance to go in peace and with dignity. My thoughts are with you

xxx
oscar12

Post by oscar12 »

thank you all so much for taking the time to send me those lovely messages. Its a certainty that many if not everyone on this site has been where I am and know just how the family are feeling.
I am curious to see our young Dillon's reaction when I bring Bonnie's ashes home. Last November Bonnie had a chance to sniff and take in the difference in her pal Oscar after he passed away,the strongest reaction to him frm her though was the day before when he was stretched out on his side and she lay down next to him in the same position, when she usually would curl up to sleep Apart from eating drinking and going outside to do her business, she remained in this position all of that day and evening...would not leave his side.
When I brought Oscar's ashes back was the strangest day....they were in a plastic bag inside a wooden box which was then in a thick plastic bag. The minute I got into the hallway Bonnie went nuts wagging her tail, whining and sniffing....when I took out the box to place it in my hearth she went even more crazy with the whining....did she know what this was?
As for Dillon, we took him out the morning after we lost our Bonnie, drove to the shore due to awful weather. He is great in the car, but this time he scented our girl who had been on the blanket the previous evening and Dillon whined non stop for the first 5 minutes of the journey.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. I am off out with Dillon for some fresh air. If I can work out[maybe with my kids' help] how to get photos from my camera on here, I will put some on of the 4 great goldens I have had the pleasure to own.

:1964