More Roo updates shes had an op

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

sammingtonsmythes

More Roo updates shes had an op

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Taking the Roo Kahoo to the vet to check on a growth on her shoulder and a new case of tapeworms. She's not going to enjoy this. It's possible that the only time she was ever at a vet was for her lousy spay. She quakes at the Petsco, so I think this is going to be difficult for her.

With the move going on I haven't had time to properly write the next part of Roo's story, but it'll be up in a few days. In the meantime, please know that she's doing okay. The night of the big scare did seem to have a lasting effect on her, but we're working together every day to keep bringing the sweet and happy Roo Kahoo out of the shadows and leave the fearful one in them forever.

It's just going to take time.
At the vet's, Roo was already in terror in the parking lot. She struggled not to go inside. The easiest thing on her was to pick her up to bring her in. Inside, she trembled, but being brave, she accepted encouragement and let everyone say hi to her. In ten minutes the trembling stopped and Roo even got up to go say hi to a fe
w kittens in a cage.

It's not going to be a good day for Roo. She has to stay there all day and have the growth on her shoulder biopsied. At first the doctor hoped it was just a cyst, but it's something else. Hopefully it won't be anything serious. Roo has really had enough bad luck to last her a lifetime.

Dr. Edmunson is one of those rare vets who combine legendary skill with unlimited compassion. The rest of her staff is as kind and gentle as anyone could hope for, so Roo is in good hands.

Because Roo is so worried, the Dr. E's strategy is not to just give her a needle of lidocaine to remove the growth, because that lidocaine shot hurts so much. Instead, Roo will be getting a shot of morphine so that she won't be terrorized by any pain.

So keep her in your thoughts today - I'll be getting her back around 5 and bringing her home. She'll probably be a little loopy and not feeling great with the drugs onboard, but she'll be able to go back to the dog park tomorrow.
I went to pick up the Roosker after her procedure. When they brought her out, she looked frazzled. She had a scary day and was on heavy drugs to boot. We took a walk around the block, and Roo was at her jumpiest.

The last time I picked her
up at a vet, when I first got her, getting in the car was terrifying to her. Now, she hopped right in and turned her head to give me a pretty smile and modest wag in anticipation of being told what a good girl she was. That she gets in the car - one of her first learning successes - is still a matter for congratulation as far as I'm concerned.

Roo got over her edgy day in record time. Granted, in the car she was dopey and sluggish, but when we got home, Roo went straight to her food bowl and polished off the remaining tablespoon of breakfast still in her bowl. I cooked some brown rice and mixed it with chicken and she plowed straight through it. After that, she remembered that she was worried about something and followed me around for a while looking at me. She probably got tired of hearing me tell her over and over again how proud I was of her for being so brave. She finally went to sleep it off.

When she got up, she was fine. We went for a walk around the neighborhood, and Roo, if a touch on the slow and jumpy sides, enjoyed being out. She was treated with great compassion by the whole staff at Brent Air Veterinary, and it showed.

She has a three-square-inch shaved patch on her shoulder where the growth was removed, and two stitches. The doc went deep enough to clear the whole growth. It has been oozing a little blood once in a while, but that seems to be the only side effect. Roo can even go back to play with the other dogs tomorrow.

A preliminary report should be in in a week, full results to follow.

In the meantime, the little Roo Kahoo can continue catching up with her lost puppyhood.

Speaking of puppyhood, Dr. Edmunson’s first impression was that this little Kahoo girl could be as young as ten months! Remember - the shelter staff called her three. My Swiss sanitarium methods are showing their effect. If I could help people knock the years off as fast as Roo has, I would be a trillionaire. By the way, her 49-pound shelter weight on July 19 has now risen to 61.

This little girl is so brave and good. She gets better every day.

I have a feeling Roo is going to do just fine
sammingtonsmythes

Re: More Roo updates shes had an op

more updates and video
The little girl isn't feeling her best after her little surgery. The incision is a little puffy and though she would like to play and be up and about, she really needs to lie down.

I'm working on Part Five of Notes from a Rescue in Progress, and it'll be up in the next day or two. Since this is only going to be published here, and not on Life with Dogs any more, please click on "share" so that others who were interested in Roo but might not know where to look might get the updates, too.

Here's a little video of the Roo Kahoo after her cyst was removed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k0BFA5p ... e=youtu.be
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

she has been through so much and more testing times ahead im sure, but to see her playing with the bucket of water, as almost all goldens love to do is a heart warming sight. I do hope her future holds a lot more happiness in her life, she deserves it. :love4
sammingtonsmythes

Me too Lenny we care about them all don't we.She's still a puppy isn't she
xxx
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Reading this almost broke my heart, especially the part when they discovered that Roo could be as young as ten months. Just a few weeks older than Bentley. When I think about how confident, lovable and bouncy he is - and how things could have been so very different.

I'm so happy Roo's found her way to a safe haven.
sammingtonsmythes

I know she's the best possible place isn't she though xxx