For All of Us Who have lost a Golden Friend or any furbaby

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Hollys Mum

For All of Us Who have lost a Golden Friend or any furbaby

Post by Hollys Mum »

I have noticed how many people have lost their golden babies recently and, having lost furbabies myself I found this poem and would like to share it with You All.
Tissues ready Folks! Love Lesleyxx :cry3: :bighug:

A Dogs Prayer
If it should be that I grow weak,
and pain keep me from my sleep
then you must do what must be done
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've has so many happy years
What is to come can hold no fears,
you'd not want me to suffer so
The time has come please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
and please stay with me until the end,
Hold me firm and speak to me
until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see,
the kindness that you did for me
Although my tail its last has waved,
from pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve, it must be you ,
Who has this painful thing to do,
We've been so close, we two these years,
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

This was written by Robin Hooper a veterinary surgeon.
Steve
Senior User
Senior User

Re: For All of Us Who have lost a Golden Friend or any furba

Post by Steve »

Thanks Lesley :2024:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Have read it before, but it is so true to all furbabies lovers, furbabies is such an apt word. :thumbleft
julia

Post by julia »

That is so touching, and of course I shed more than one tear. We have lost two beautiful Goldens in 2 years, and have had to do the sad deed for both of them. It was far easier when our first old boy just passed peacefully. I hope that Jasper and Poppy would say that poem to me.
eachsouthgate

Post by eachsouthgate »

Hi Holly's Mum and every Golden owner.
I am new to the forum and found your poem... it was on the card that came from the crematorium after our beautiful girl had to be put to sleep in June. It is very touching and stirs so many emotions.
I'm still finding my away around the website and haven't even completed my profile or avatar... I will soon. We are a smitten Golden Retriever family after looking after our friend's Golden - a lovely, gentle old 'bear' (we loved him so much we had to get our own and lo and behold the young dog gave the old one a new lease of life!). Sadly, our golden girl became ill and it was found she had tumours in her stomach, at first the vet thought it was pyometra - we had a quick decision to make and had to let her go on the operating table. It still hurts and we are still grieving - she made such a difference to our lives. She was a nervous but very loyal and gentle girl. It took a lot of patience, love and time for her to accept us as her new family but boy was it worth it! Our friend's dog has also gone over the Rainbow Bridge, I hope they are together because he helped her to settle in and they were such friends! It is so very comforting to find people who also love Golden Retrievers!
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi, and welcome to our website.
So very sorry that you have lost your beautiful Golden. How heartbreaking it is to make the decision to let them go, but also a final act of love. I'm sure she has left you with wonderful memories, and a special place in your heart. :love5
I too have seen this poem before and it always brings a tear.
Hollys Mum

Post by Hollys Mum »

Hi I am sorry to hear about the loss of your goldie, we have all been through the loss and know how hard it is to lose a furbaby. It does get better with time, I know when
I had to lose Judy, my first Goldie, it was heartwrenching and I said I could not go through it again. However when we gained Holly from Jan it was wonderful to bond with another
furbaby (they all have different personalities) and they want to be loved (however long that may be for). Every day is a blessing for both of us and we have had Holly for 8 and a half
years now. She is so gentle, affectionate and loving, I could not see us having a home without a dog. We also have three cats and Holly and the cats get on famously. Welcome to
our website. Lesley, Steve and Holly plus pussycats :love6
eachsouthgate

Post by eachsouthgate »

Thank you for your warm welcome and understanding about the loss of our Golden girl.It is true, we were devastated. I do I wish I had joined this website sooner!
I don't like our house without our furry friend - we all forget and expect her to be there. We will be having a Golden soon - if it were just up to me I would foster when needed for any suitable candidate. Alas, I work and it is my hubby that is at home all day. He would be a doting foster parent but can panic over the care (he worries and is very careful when we look after our friend's dogs)... roll on retirement because I would love to spend my time guiding and supporting or just loving these beautiful animals. At the moment, we have a stray cat that has taken up residence. She was there before our Golden died... although we didn't know it and I thought we had a hedgehog because our girl was sat watching every night. The cat shelters were all full - so we agreed to foster but she is 'ours' now, unless someone loving and devoted will spend a lot of time with her. She is a very nervous cat and runs away at everything. She does run inward now, rather than making for the door to outside!
Thanks again for your kind understanding.