Poor doggie

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Poor doggie

Post by bentley »

Poor old Bentley. he knew there was something going on this morning when he didn't get his breakfast and I may have been a bit quieter than normal ( I imagine he regarded that bit as a blessing ).

He skipped into the vets in all innocence - only to be led away from me and put in a crate. I left in tears, convinced I'd never see my baby boy again. :2026:

Three hours later the vet was on the phone telling me that he was awake and loudly voicing his disgust at what had just been done to him.

Now he's back at home, walking very carefully, snuggling up to me as close as his buster collar will let him and whining plaintively.

I know neutering has to be done but boy, do I feel guilty. :2003: :2003: :2003:

Poor doggie.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Poor doggie

Post by janrobinson »

Oh dear you both sound down in the dumps.. It will different tomorrow :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Oh dear Lesley, my feelings go out to you. Never an easy time for us when our dogs have to have something done. Bentley will soon be his normal happy self, then you'll wonder why you worried so much. (speaking from experience here) It is great how dogs bounce back to everyday life, only to leave owners wondering how they do it. Lots of love and cuddles, for you and Bentley, order of the day. Hope he feels a bit better today, and you too.
:love4
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

hope you are both feeling better today. As Lynne says they soon bounce back, I'm sure that we take longer.
Big hugs all round
Pat Syd and Katie :love3
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

As normal all of you clever people were right. Bentley is obviously very sore and bruised but much brighter than yesterday. I knew he felt better when he came to ask me to share my lunch with him.

That flipping buster collar is going to have my legs black and blue and it's cruel but funny to watch him try and navigate with it on.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and good wishes, it really did help put it all into perspective.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Aww poor Bentley, I'm sure you'll be back to your normal 'bouncy' self soon! :bighug: from Linda, Terry & Honey
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Oh dear Lesley....it horrible when you have to take them to the vets for the dreaded 'op' male or female, everything goes through your mind... because they are not ill.

Cobi was 'done' 3 months after we collected from Jan (she came into season the day after we collected her) James our vet gave me several A4 sheets of paper with do's and dont's on..... not upstairs, no jumping on furniture etc., My husband carefully lifted Cobi out of my car, she shot straight upstairs and jumped on our bed.... then I had to stop her and Ginnie from 'battering' each other until the stitches came out.
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

We've just been to the vets for his two day check up.

We got the same advice about running, jumping, furniture etc. Hhhhmmm. Tricky when Bentley obviously feels great but cant go for a walk to burn off the energy. Normal 'bounciness' has been restored. He's bouncing off the walls at the moment, bouncing off the door frames but mostly bouncing off my legs with his big collar. Owowowowow! I'm black and blue. Roll on next Thursday when the stitches come out!
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Glad all went well, you can try and have a game of "hide & seek" that will calm his mental energy down and stop him from jumping about and hurting his bits..treat here and there in the garden behind the sofa etc etc..... :1945:
Also you can put treats into a kong and freeze it then bring it out and give it to him for a treat that should help with the excess energy, before you know it he will be bouncing about again... :)
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Good advice. Thanks :-D