Tummy bugs

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Tummy bugs

Post by bentley »

I've been reading on here and hearing at the dog club about lots of dogs with upset tummies.Last week poor old Bentley picked it up.

The first clue was when he thew up all over Bob's legs, the settee and the carpet. I didn't know a dog could look so thoroughly miserable, he clearly didn't feel well at all. Bob looked quite miserable as well, all covered in dog vomit. Over the next few days he (Bentley, not Bob) seemed to get better then off he'd go again. :2005:

A trip to the vet was obviously in order. The vet told us he didn't seem to have much wrong with him but he'd give him anti vomit, anti biotic and anti inflammatory just in case. £65 please and bring him back tomorrow.

Back the following day for another dose of the magic trinity of anti this, that and the other. Another £65. Still it seems to have done the trick. Some of the dogs I've been hearing about have been ill for several weeks despite treatment.

I hope all your doggies are ok.

Ps. I was shooting a wedding last week and one of the neighbours came out to watch the bride get in the car. I spotted a beautiful very golden golden and of course went to say hello. It turned out he was called Bentley as well. What a surprise. Handsome boy he was too, they're a good looking lot, these goldens. :love5 :love4
vickic

Re: Tummy bugs

Post by vickic »

Our tummy bug with Dora went on for months (no sickness just the runs!), only eventually cleared up after a months worth of antibiotics, she has been off them for three weeks so fingers crossed. Hope Bentley is feeling better.

Once you have had a golden retriever as soon as you see another one out and about your fingers itch to go and say hello. John is worse than me!, we recently stayed at a very posh hotel (for a significant birthday!) in Saint Martin de Re in France and in a 20 bedroom hotel there were two golden retrievers staying with their owners - one was with a French family, the other with an English family who had come over from Jersey!

Regards

Vicki
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I give my two, the probotic yoghurt, every night, Activia "natural" range, and so far we havent had as many bugs this year...so maybe its worth a try..???... :1945:
milo's mum

Post by milo's mum »

milo fell ill with tummy bug a couple of years ago. lots of trips to the vet, even tests for cancer( due to dramatic weight loss). tins of id food from the vet (at £6 for 3) and in the end he just stopped. we had to build his strength and weight back up. we had a customer who had similar. was advised by her vet to use tins of chappie( lot cheaper than id). worked a treat it's bland and easily digested. the hardest bit was getting him used to having his dried food in the end. it's not good when our furry friends aren't well and advice does vary, but it's always best to see your vet.
hope bentley feels a lot better now.

ps. just spoke to steve about this and he said he's had lots of customers with the same problem and it has been mentioned that it is possibly what has been sprayed on the grass to kill the weeds in the parks.....possibility?
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

So sorry to hear Monty hasn't been the only dog with a poorly tummy.Hope all are better now.Good tip about the chappie might have to try that.Very strange isn't it love to all
:love6