TICKS! WATCH OUT THEY ARE ABOUT!!

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

hairydog

TICKS! WATCH OUT THEY ARE ABOUT!!

Post by hairydog »

Just to let you all know (if you didnt already!) this year is an exceptionally bad year for ticks both of my two have been bitten and have both been frontlined our Paddy is suffering most he has got a bad reaction to a tick bite and now on antibiotics,vet said that best to give them a brush after your walk and check the hairy bits as ticks like to go in there... :)
cazmar

Post by cazmar »

I have never seen a tick, so when they get them is it obvious that they are there? I always frontline mine anyway but worth knowing what to look out for
carol
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Thing is Carol they are so small you dont see them, they attached themselves onto the skin usually on the underside of your dog, stomach etc, then suck the blood! they look when swollen like a pea or when they have sufficiently had their full of your dogs blood they look like a grape,get some special tweezers and get them off as soon as you see one.Its a very bad year this year, both my two have been frontlined and have a tick collar on but it isnt detering the little critters.. :?
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

I always thought ticks were biggish :shock:

We will be checking Toby carefully cos he only has short legs!! :D
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I think Carolyn, goldens are more suseptable than other dogs with the long hair the little blighters can crawl up the hair, :) our Paddy is a tick magnet! even Lucy though had 2 this weekend one on her back and the other on her fluffy bits... :oops:
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

We were quite lucky with Ben because he wouldn't go anywhere where he thought he might get dirty :D . Little Toby on the other hand is fearless and straight into bushes, long grass.

When you see one, what should you do? I suppose the first instinct is to pull it off but that is wrong.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

If you see one get a tick tweezer and gently ease the tick off you will see a lump underneath where its sucked the blood.. :shock: put on some antseptic cream on to help with the swelling.Also of course Frontline them every 2 months, but, they are persistant little critters... :D
John

Post by John »

One of the boys picked up a tick last summer. Actually, any vet and most dog owners will happily remove a tick from a dog, but you try to get one removed from a human! He went to his local hospital but they would not touch it, "Sorry, not got the expertise!" and sent him to an "Accident and Emergency" hospital. "Sorry, Ticks are not an accident or an emergency!" He finally got it removed at a major orthopaedic hospital, the biggest in the area! I told him he should have brought it to me!

Regards, John
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

"Sorry, Ticks are not an accident or an emergency :D :D

I pulled another one of Paddy last night the little critter laying there without a care in the world,then out came the tick tweezers and off it came.... :lol: