Jazz & Candy

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

superjazz

Jazz & Candy

Post by superjazz »

We have now had Candy for a week. It started with a few sleepless nights.
Nerves on Candy's part I think as she did not want to make a mess.
Jazz needs plenty of extra fuss and there has been the odd sulk !!
Things are settling down now, but there is a problem at feeding time.
Big Jazz is a very delicate eater and the Feng Shui consultant needs to inspect the kitchen before he will eat. Nothing must be out of place.
Along comes Candy, she can wolf a bowl of food down in 30 seconds and then push the bowl all over the kitchen as she removes every last morsel.
We are now experimenting with different eating areas. Perhaps a string quartet for Jazz and the menu beforehand. Out on walks they are perfect
trot along happily together. Wish I knew how to attach photos to this message. Perhaps the ones I sent to you Jan could be shown on the web site.
Pat Syd Jazz Candy
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I will email them to Ian or you can and he will put them on for you, I have no idea what to do and when I am told it is like a foreign language. Might as well be talking in Russian.

I think you are going to have to feed them in different rooms. We don't want Jazz upset do we?
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

Great news that they are settling down together..

We have to feed Ben and Chloe in the living room, toby in the kitchen and amber at the other side of the child gate in the hall -
Ben is a hover so chloe has hers on the sofa (its got a cover on!) so he cant reach hers - he's 7stone and cant get on the couch!

its all part of the fun and it took some hillarious moments to work it all out -

the instructions for attaching pics can be seen here.... http://retrieverrescue.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=233

If you cant manage it, just send them to me or Jan and i'll sort it out for you

Ian
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

FEEDING TIME PROBLEMS

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Yes I know what you are experiencing, dogs that eat at different paces, a bit of a problem if there is medication in the food!!
The training book that's on the homepage mentions the word 'WAIT' it's one I've used (almost like on your marks--get set-- GO as far as Cobi and Abigail were concerned) Ginnie doesn't eat as fast, so at first I put their bowls a few feet apart on upturned flower buckets that have had the bottom cut off, make them wait (pools of saliva from Cobi if she considers the WAIT to be too long, but she always waits until I tell themto eat)
They will eat or clean a plate together but Cobi's tongue is faster!!
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

janrobinson wrote:I will email them to Ian or you can and he will put them on for you, I have no idea what to do and when I am told it is like a foreign language. Might as well be talking in Russian.

I think you are going to have to feed them in different rooms. We don't want Jazz upset do we?
We definetely do not want him upset, we are going out of or way to make sure he is the top dog.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

My Paddy eats his dinner quick smart bowl goes round the kitchen floor until every last morsal has gone. Lady Lucy on the other hand, has to inspect the food first, then when she sees Paddy tucking into his then realises it must be ok, thing is Paddy then hovers over her when he has finished, but she is now learning to tell him off, one small lift of the lip usually does it. I have started to feed her in the utility room and Paddy in the kitchen, only thing is when he has finished he now peeps round the door to see what is going on!!
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Ella has a friend to stay at the moment. My sister's dog, Midge, a small border collie. We feed them in the utility, and we have to make sure their bowls hit the feeder at the same time. Ella has broken all records!! :lol: They inspect each others bowls when finished and then it's pudding, just another "healthy biscuit",good job they don't know the difference :roll: but Ella's there first, and if Midge pushes in he gets the' curled lip', that says " My house I'm first" :lol:
superjazz

Re Jazz & Candy

Post by superjazz »

Thanks to everyone for the sound advice. We had a fairly stress free evening meal last night. Its all working out.
I notice Candy will not eat out of Jazz's bowl, but if he has left anything and its put in her bowl then she will eat it.
Jazz is the bigger dog but he always been a gentle giant never wanting to push past anything. He was also becoming very set in his ways and not wanting routines changed. Patricia says he was becoming an old fart.(Someting I am frequenty accused of !!!) It is noticeable now that he is asserting himself and giving the odd gentle growl. Candy has obviously been good for him.
Have a good Easter everyone. Keep up the good work looking after the Goldies.