sunny

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

When to get another dog is always a difficult one. We lost my golden boy last year extremely suddenly at the age of 6. I cant begin to tell you how devastated we were - i for one cried for days as he was my boy. We had always talked of getting a retriever pup when anything happened to Anna, our old lab as a friend for ben.

After much tossing and turning and wondering what was the right thing to do we saw an advert of a golen retriever litter in barnsley. We went had had a look - only as look you understand but as you alll know - you dont just look do you and we put a deposit on a pup. 3 weeks later he came home to us. Toby is an absolutely wonderful chap - he was never intended as a replacement for ben - he never will be a replacement for him - he is his own character and what a wonderful lad he is. I still miss ben and still shed the occasional tear when i think about him but getting toby when we did was probably the best thing that could have happened.

Just over a week ago, we lost our darling Anna - 15 1/2 years old. We knew it was coming but the way it happpened was still a shock. She was a rescue girl and been with us for 4 years. She was a right old character and again we were devastated even though we knew it would happen at some point. A few days later I was at Jans sorting out the computer and I could hear the words do you have any oldies that want to come and live at the seaside?! coming out of my mount (between the chewing of cake)Well bugger me, she did and we went to see Amber the following day. Needless to say, she's curled up by my feet as I'm typing this. Again, she will never replace our darling anna - but she is a lovely girl with her own problems, issues and troubled past that was deserate for a loving home.

I guess if you are people that love dogs, then the loss of one leaves a hole that needs to be filled. The satisfaction fo helping a rescue dog makes it even more satisfying - personally, we love the oldies and the ones that need a bit of sorting out but everyone is different.

The thing is - anyone that loses a dog will know themselves when the time is right - and sometimes they may not even be gven the choice because circumstances will take over
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Amber is so lucky to now have a lovely home

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Sorry to hear about Anna, even when they are elderly it is still a great loss. because you go through every emotion having had to make that awful decision.
I sometimes get that 'midlife lapse'and accidentally call either of our dogs by the name of a dog that is no longer with us.

We are pleased to see and hear about Amber and she is so lucky to have 'landed' on her feet at your home. Looking forward to the next photos.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Its lovely hearing about Lucy

Lenny that is lovely to hear that Lucy has accepted you and your family.

Several of our dogs have put their heads under water and brought up enormous pebbles and carried them out onto the land.
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

Very sorry to hear you lost Anna...hope Amber's arrival helps you all as a family?
patnpaul
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by patnpaul »

We are really pleased your story has had a happy ending. Please put some pictures of her onto the gallery so we can see her. We wish you all the best and every happiness with Lucy and long may you enjoy her company. Good luck with the cat ! Holly came face to face with one on Saturday night, we had never heard her growl until then, she danced round it growling and jumping and being as ferocious as a retriever can be :oops: The cat :evil: Not a flicker of attention or care. one-nil to the cat I think :)
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Lucy settled in fine now dog and cat slowly getting to know each other, not completly trusting each other but getting used to tollerating both of themselves in the same room I am sure it wont be long before they are cuddled up next to each other in front of the fire just like buttons did with sunny.Will post some photos asap , as I have said before never done this before :roll: and once my son can be botherd to show me how to down load the camera and post them :x I wil gladly do it. Lucy still trying to dictate they direction of the way we walk but has her good days as well as her awkward ones but this is the only problem we have with her and am sure given time she will be ok with this as well .Im sure some of the other dogs adopted on this site have far more severe problems throught no fault of there own. I for one salute you all and wish everyone well who has taken a troubled dog and has to put a lot of time and effort into helping them have a happy and rewarding life :)
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Glad Lucy is ettling in

Lenny thanks for that good news about Lucy settling in, look forward to seeing the photos.
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

Its good to hear how well she has settled...given time and the life you are offering her I'm sure you'll find she'll change even more for the better...

Its nice to hear your story...
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Lovely news Lenny. Pleased that it's looking good. Given time, it comes good in the end. After all, we never know what's gone on previously. Talking to my aerobics teacher today, she's had 3 rescue dogs, she said she could never get over how they were so loving and trusting after having being through so much. We still encounter funny little things with Willow that we don't have an answer for, but she is the sweetest Golden we've ever had. A tongue that can get you at 10 paces if needs be :D Got the cleanest ears in the northern union, that goes for our Timber as well.Our lttle treasure loves everything and everybody,nothing escapes the Willow treatment. We're so glad she came here, love has a whole new meaning in this house. It is so nice to take time out for a cuddle, one under each arm, bliss.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Lucy doing fine walking better now not stoping as much ,let her off the lead today on the local park as she had not shown to much intrest in the brook running through it,whilst on the lead. she ran 10 yards foward then turned sharp right a few seconds later all I could see was the top of head and her tail sticking out of the water. The look on her wet face when I saw it seemed to say see how easy I tricked you :oops: I just had to laugh she spent a happy 5 minutes in the brook before I could tempt her out and walking her home so I could wash her down before drying her off and then giving her a good brush, now shes sat at my feet as I type this and nudging me to stroke her as type no doubt she will sleep well tonight,is that what they mean when they say its a dogs life :wink:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hi Lenny, lovely to hear from you. Sounds like Lucy had a wonderful day and I am sure you enjoyed it too. Lovely wet dog. Thanks for keeping us posted.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Lucy settled in well now seems shes been with us ages when we take her for walks about half the people we meet think she is sunny,to me that feels like a complement as she is friendly and as lovley as sunny ever was. Her walking is improving she hardly stops now untill yesterday when she saw me delivering mail near to my house whilst out walking with the wife, she would not walk home without me and kept lying down when I went up each path and would only go in the direction I was going. So in the end I had to stop my delivery and walk home with her and my wife ,before going back to delivering my letters. I couldnt help laughing at my wife as she tried to get her moving again each time she stopped ,but it was obvious she was not going to win. but in the main she is doing really well and we love her to bits. :lol:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

TOOK LUCY ON A QUICK WALK THIS AFTERNOON ,AS I HAD AN APPOINTMENT, HAD JUST ENOUGH TIME TO PLAY HER FAVORITE GAME FETCH THE STONE, SHE WAS HAVING A GREAT TIME BUT ON THE LAST THROW SHE DECIDED THE BROOK WAS A BETTER GAME WENT IN AND WOULDNT COME OUT :twisted: . WISH I HAD CAMERA YET AGAIN, BUT THIS HAD NOT BEEN MY PLAN. THE SIGHT OF HER UPTO HER HEAD IN WATER WITH A SMILE ON HER FACE WAS SO FUNNY. I KNOW NEXT TIME EITHER WAIT TILL I HAVE MORE TIME ,NEVER TRY TO SQUEEZE A WALK IN. OR ALWAYS TAKE THE BLOODY CAMERA :wink:
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

You are so right, remember your camera !!! as you can never usually create the moment that has passed.
My Husband never lets Ginnie off if he has to be at work at a certain time in the morning, 'sods law' Ginnie do a runner!!! and take Cobi with her, then it's a game.. a big grin on her face, as she usually heads for the nearest water.