Help please

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

patnpaul
Advanced User
Advanced User

Help please

Post by patnpaul »

We have been brushing Holly and noticed two small lumps, one behind each ear. They appear to be fur balls but we have never noticed them before. Are these normal or do we need to investigate further. I have looked closely and they do appear to be part of her ear rather than loose, and when touched firmly she winces. Any comments please.

Thanks
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

These DO sound very much like fur balls. Ella gets them, especially when she's been in water, and if they are very close to the skin they can hurt.

We're lucky with Ella, she will let me snip them off with a pair of nail scissors. I put the fur ball between my finger and thumb and snip away very gently. Is there any red or soreness at all?
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I think they are fur balls as they are on both ears. It would be unusual for something sinister to be on both ears but move with caution and try to tease it apart a little before you snip. She will wince anyway as if she is like my little girls they are a bit soft and hair sore. Keep us posted.

Jan
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

My two get them sometimes,as said try and snip them gently off, I brush mine both daily if not the fur balls soon mount up... :)
patnpaul
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by patnpaul »

Hello all, we have been a bit busy lately so not been on the site for a while. They were fur balls and she laid with her head on Richards lap while I snipped them off. Holly is so well behaved she did not struggle or complain. We will make sure ahe is brushed close to her ears from now on. Thanks to everone for your help and advice, it's like having a workshop manual for your dog.

Thanks

Patnpaul