BONNIE

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

BONNIE

Post by janrobinson »

In November 2002 I received a phone call from a vet to ask would I take a Golden bitch whose owners had taken her in to be put to sleep. They didn't know if she was 6 or 8. They wouldn't do it and to their credit they had spayed her. Anyway off we went and what a sorry sight she was.

two stone overweight bald and what little bit of hair she had was like wire. Her tail was like a rat tail and was tucked underneath her body like a whippet Her eyes were blank and all her joints were stiff. She could only walk very very slowly. Well you can imagine I was in tears.

At that time I had just lost my last two oldies. One I had had all his life and a rescue bitch. SO just at that time I was dogless.

As she curled up on the blanket I had put down for her in the kennels I thought " I can not leave you" and I didn't.

She was such a sad little girl but we went for short walks and she seemed to improve but could not bend her legs. and the coat remained non existant.

We had had a dog in previously with thyroid problems so I began to wonder if this was the same so had her tested and it was. One tablet a day and a changed Golden

The coat grew, the eyes sparkled and the tail started to wag. As she became more mobile the joints loosened and the weight dropped off.

What a little treasure she is. I don't know if she is now 11 or 13 but it doesn't matter. She has her own armchair and woe betide anyone who sits in it when she wants to. They think she is gazing at them with love
but it is probably the evil eye to make them move.

Jan

as a postsript Bonnie is the third picture down on the right hand side of the first page of the web site. Isn't she lovely.?
Last edited by janrobinson on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Lovely story Jan, and she is a little beauty,Ive met her a couple of times, even Paddy thought she was hot.. :)
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

I've seen her too - what a stunning dog she is -

If I had been wearing a coat with bigger pockets in, I would have tried to sneak her home with me!

The oldies are wonderful and so rewarding - i cant understand why more people dont want them...