grooming

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Hollys Mum

grooming

Post by Hollys Mum »

I have just ordered a furminator from QVC for grooming holly. Has anyohe tried one and how effective is it and does the dog like it!! Holly has just been bathed by dial a dog wash, don't think she was too pleased even though she has been bathed by them five times now. I found she was too heavy to maul in/'out of the bath and saves all the hair/mess etc. She won't let Alison (lady who does bath) dry her so she is just towel dried and drys naturally.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I know Lynda swears by them. I got one and thought at first it was good but I would only use it to clean up their hocks. I find one of the blunt rake type things are wonderful and get right to the root. With the furminator you have to be very careful of any lumps or you may take the top off.
julie

Post by julie »

We have a furminator and whilst they are really effective at removing hair they do seem a bit rougher to Honey. She's not too keen on it to be honest - she will let me use it but gets up and walks away part way through.

The best I have found and use most often is a comb made by Crufts. Honey doesn't seem to mind this one and will lie (almost) happily. We do also have a double sided Crufts brush but that isn't as easy / effective. I would recommend the comb, they're only about £7 or so and you can get in ordinary supermarkets (where every little helps) or in the pet supermarkets (its green and white).
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

I love the descriptions of the supermarket what sells them but unfortunately I admit to either muting the sound or fastforwarding the adverts :oops: so am totally clueless (nothing new there then!)

Amber has got really curly fur and found that a rake-type comb (black) from the green and white pet supermarket works :D

xx
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

I use the furminator but have lots of other grooming aids

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I've got a furminator, and Jan is right, you really have to know where your dog has lumps and bumps (Ginnie and Cobi both have some warty cysts, that's what our vet says when I discover another one or think it may have changed, he once told me to find a pebble the same size as the lump or cyst and put the pebble away and then see if it was the same size, every time I was concerned that it may have changed)
Cobi is not very bothered about being groomed, she loved the furminator at first, and she will stand, but then gets bored, and scoots across the carpet or better still the lawn with her nose, bum in the air! Ginnie hated being groomed when she first came to us from Jan over 8 years ago, but loves it now. I've got an ionic brush, a metal 'rake' looks like 4 inch nails,various rubber glove things to brush them with. I let the other half be the bad guy when it comes to toe nails, he has always clipped our dogs nails (Ginnie finds the vets surgery, very stressful) they are walked on pavements every day, but still seem to require clipping occasionally.I've got a lovely photograph of Ginnie presenting a paw to Jan so that it could be neatly trimmed!!
Jasmine used to give herself a 'pawdicure' and you could hear her chomping off her toe nails!
We've never bathed our dogs, I couldn't lift them in or out of the bath and over 20 years ago my other half hurt his back when trying to do this with Ceili, never again, we have dog wipes if Cobi rolls in 'fox' when out and has to go in a car to get back, sunroof open, back windows open !!! dirty little madam. She seems to think she is more attractive... with a touch of 'foxssssh' behind each ear and back of the neck....ugh.
Hollys Mum

grooming

Post by Hollys Mum »

thanks everyone for your advice on furminator, it hasn't come yet but I shall take great care when it does I assure you. I have tried various contraptions in the past and have found problems with some that have caused skin to bleed. Holly isn't particularly happy to be groomed around tail and ear areas but collects lots of loose hair on her back. I did get a new dog comb from a place called kennelgate and that was quite good in removing loose hair but the furminator looked good at reaching lower coat hair.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I too have one but yes you do have to be careful where you use them Paddys fur is thick but Lucys is softer and finer so she gets the normal brush and she hates being brushed just wont stay still, :roll: but Paddy loves it and would stay there all day... :)