Health & Wellbeing

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Health & Wellbeing

Post by janrobinson »

At last I am joining in. I have been able to read all your posts but not to join in. Wet Excema if you have a dog with a hot spot ( this is before it gets to the wet stage) use some dry cornflour. it takes all the heat out and does no harm if the dog licks it. Of course if it does get to the nasty yellow oozy stage the only thing is to remove all the hair from that place and let the air get to it.
A tip for removing ticks is to smother it with vaseline and it can not breath and will drop off but you will have to watch for that and dispose of it in your own way at least this way it does not leave whatever they are in the dog. are they teeth or suckers ? :lol:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Welcome Jan great to have you now on board... :)

Well ticks the little blighters are abound this summer, we have just had a week at our caravan in the Lakes and my two are tick magnets, I took 6 off Paddy the other day, and he has been frontlined...so its always best to check your Golden after walks, before they get attached.. :)
glenys

Post by glenys »

Hi Jan we have lift off :) looking forward to more health tips and good luck with your new site

Glenys xx
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hi Glenys. all singing all dancing. Can't stop me now. You said I would like this new technology. Never believed you. :roll:

luv,

Jan
xxxx
John

Post by John »

Hello Jan, good to meet you!
Love the cornflower tip, the old ones are still the best! Did you ever have a copy of the early "Shirleys Dog Book"? I have a 28th edition, (1969) price 2/6 which was a mind of information, including how to set a broken leg, using a stick or pencil as a splint!! Years later I brought the "Up to date" version, the 36th edition, 1985 and was so disappointed! All those helpful hints were missing and almost every section says, "Consult your veterinary surgeon." What a let down!

Regards, John
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hello John,

yes the old ways are the best , I did have an old Sherleys book but long gone now.
The cornflour one is really old but can not replace proper vet treatment if it is really needed as you will know.
John

Post by John »

Oh yes, "Sherleys" will never replace "Trevor Turner", but when you are working a dog miles from anywhere, actually, the down to earth first aid in Sherleys can be far more practical. Another useful book from a "Practial" vet is Gill Averis "Veterinary Advice For Gundog Owners" As a vet and a working gundog owner she knows the problems we can face. Twice in the last two years my game keeper has had one of his Springers run onto sticks in the wood and tear it's self badly underneath. And another friend, working her Golden in a gundog working test sent her dog for the dummy, only for it to drop a leg into a Rabbit hole whilst running at speed, breaking it's leg! Trouble is, although these accidents all happened whilst the dogs were working, they are the kind of accident which could happen to any dog at almost any time!

Regards, John
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Health & Wellbeing

Post by lynn wise »

Reading through the old posts this weekend, I found this from John. As I always think his advice is so sound, thought I would try this book by Gill. Eagerly awaiting delivery from Amazon.
I had said to David a couple of weeks ago, that I could do with a really good doggy book. Over the years you squirrel info away, then forget where you've put it. :2019:

Thanks again to John, the font of knowledge. :2059: