pad injury

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

jdaye

pad injury

Post by jdaye »

hi all not been on 4 awhile no computa,rob was bit by a dog that lives at the back of us,this d0g always attacks the fence when any1 goes in garden,people or dogs,anywy as rob was jumping up this dog got his foot,his pad had been biten,lots of blood as they do,dressed the wound follwing day went vets,said it cud do with stitchin,but with him eating they cudnt stich,went bac nex dy diffrent vet he thought it wud hel betta with out stitchen,changen dressings and cleanin wound,he has been on antibiotcs 4 a week,his skin by dew claw is now gettin sore wth the dressings on,any body know of a quicka way 2 get it 2 heal without dressing it 24,7,we have a dog boot and a buster coller,because he is so licky,fence is now all blocked off,went round and saw other dog owener,she said they will pay 2wards vet bill,believe that when i see it,also he was neuted 2 weeks before so going stir crazy not going long walks,regards jeanette
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: pad injury

Post by janrobinson »

I don't think there is any way to hurry up the healing and pads are such awkward things as they have to be constantly in use. I think your vet was right not to stitch it. Going back 30 years my old Barney had a cut pad and it was stitched what a waste of time that was. The part of his pad that was stitched just withered and dropped of. I always use plenty of antiseptic cream like Conotrane from the chemist. It is for nappy rash so if its O K for a baby it's O K for my dog. At least it forms a protective barrier when out walking. I think looking after it 24/7 is the only way to go.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

I remember 30 years ago, our Holly cutting a pad. Took her to the Vets. He said No to stitching, pads are notoriously hard to stitch successfully. His recommendation was, to use iodine, painted on. It worked, but by the heck, it made her scream. It worked wonderfully though. Now any cuts and scrapes, it's the old remedy of salt water bathe. Finest disinfectant known to man, it also puts a protective layer on.

On a cautionary note....Do Not use either methods on him, I'm only saying what happened here.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Nothing to do with a pad injury thankfully, but a year after we had Ginnie, she was chasing Abby (Abby could turn on a sixpence) Ginnie screamed as her cruciate 'went'. After surgery I used hypericum and calendula cream on Ginnie's open wound as it is a natural painkiller and can be used on such painful wounds (I've used it for years) We never mentioned this to the vet when she went to have her stitches out, he couldn't believe the remarkable healing process that has occurred with Ginnie's leg, only then did I tell him what I'd used on a daily basis.
oscar12

Post by oscar12 »

hello,
sorry to hear about your dog's injury. Some years back one of my dogs got a tiny fragment of broken glass in his pad while out walking. It was removed with tweezers and the vet had a general chat with me about pad injury. As well as providing a soothing barrier with a layer of sudocrem,[usually bought to treat nappy rash] he went along with my idea of using natural remedies as he said lots of different types of pad injury were not really amenable to stitching. I recall calendula cream and also bathing in a solution of arnica and warm water...this I learnt would reduce the chances of wound infection. I asked a chemist about this because my daughter had used an arnica solution to help heal a wound and it worked...he said no reason why a dog would react badly to it, it could only help.
Unfortunately unlike humans ,dogs and especially retrievers will take off a protective sock immediately. I learnt this lesson when trying to put one on my big lad who thought it was a great game to just whip it off. As you cant realistically do this I think using a protective solution and cream is the best way to go, but take advice first.
Good luck
Danielle,Liverpool
jdaye

Post by jdaye »

hi every one thanks 4 all advice will pick up some calendula cream 2morrow,rob is doing great,check up at vets on tuesday,starting to heal,no more dressings to apply asthey were making his dew claw very sore,so he has been on a long lead round the house and garden,an every time he licks at his paw and claw gets told to leave it,working up to now,o as soon as cream is on we shud be healed in a week or two,provided he does not like the cream,but he does have a cream fetish though,has any1 tried puttin suncream on kids,with a goldie that loves the taste lol,only if ur not the 1 with the sun cream kids find it very funny when they get told 2 keep arms an faces out of reach,of rob,jeanette
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Are these pad injurys catching, Took snowy out yesterday, after playing with a chocalate lab for ages I noticed he had a slight limp and then saw blood on his paw.I checked it right away the cut was just at the side of his pad but thankfully not bad had to slowly walk him home and cleaned the cut, it was still bleeding but not heavily. He was very sorry for himself the rest of yesterday,but picked up a little this morning and we have just been on a short slow walk with a bandage on his foot, he was ok but was not his nornal bouncy self.I was very carefull not to walk him fast or far infact we only went round the block.I think it will take him a good few days to get back to his best, it could have been a lot worse. will give him some extra pampering till he fully recovers, poor boy. :love5
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Oh Dear, poor lad. Hope he's better soon Lenny. Think it's the decent weather we're having, lots of rubbish thrown down. We've been side stepping glass a lot.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Sorry to hear about Snowie Hope he is soon better.

Why is there so much glass about. It must be beer bottles as everything else except jam etc is in plastic. Why do they have to be smashed up? There is no answer that I can think of except mindless :2005:
jdaye

Post by jdaye »

hi everybody sorry to hear about snowys paw,hope he gets well soon and a lot quicker than robbie,but robbie will not leave it alone,we have to watch him all the time,telling him to leave it,he is such a naughty boy,can start back on his walks this week,that wil get the energy off him poor thing is gettin realy bored,i will have to watch out for glass on the floor in the park as local kids use it as there bar and drink and get up alsorts,there are park cleaners there at least 3 to 5 times a week so we are lucky in that we have a council who care wht the open spaces look like,are any other members councils good as regards cleaning the parks of glass and rubbish?will have to go now its been a long day night all jeanette
oscar12

Post by oscar12 »

hello,
yes the mindless smashing of bottles is beyond me, it can only cause harm to humans and animals who might come into contact with it. at least the sunshine makes it easier to spot the tiny fragments that you might ordinarily miss. i saw the effects of broken glass on a childs bike, ridden for less than half an hour then a really bad puncture so its easy to imagine the effects on an animal paw.
i recall from my own experience how painful something as small as a foot problem can be, intensely sore and can make life miserable, so a poor dog with a pad injury, especially if it is an active playful animal, must feel really low in spirits. lots of tlc and keeping the wound clean appears the only way to go. its nice to see them back to their normal mischievous selves, even if it means they soon recover their desire to DIG !!
Danielle
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Snowy is a bit better once again today his limp is not as pronounced and he seems a little more lively, not sure if he cut his paw on glass or on a sharp stone as when he was playing they were running in and out of a local brook, but as others have said when ever we go out we always seem to ecounter glass as we walk. Mostly beer bottels, some dont realise what a serious risk broken glass is to animals and some dont care either,but what can you do if you see someone smashing a bottle and tell them off you probably get a lot of abuse or even worse.Could rant on alot more about this but I am sure you all feel the same as I do, better to put a suitable smily to sum up my feelings :2011:
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I don't think I ought to say what I feel about the idiots that smash bottles for fun....I bet 'they get so excited'...listening to the glass shatter and then see all the pretty slivers on the ground...... just to say I hope that they cut themselves severely.....with permanent damage to what they've cut !!!!
sonia
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sonia »

Glad to hear he is a little better :)
It makes me so angry when i find bottles smashed on the feild, the other week i went with gloves and a carrrier bag and collected as much as the glass up as i could.