Rough Elbows

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Rough Elbows

Post by lynn wise »

Anyone got a good remedy for scaley elbows. Woody as got quite a rough patch on one elbow, have just used Vaseline on it.(It works for me!!!!)
John

Re: Rough Elbows

Post by John »

The hard skin on elbows is usually caused by laying on a hard surface. My Anna loves laying on the concrete path!

Vaseline will soften the skin, although I have used a little Vaseline Intensive Care hand cream. I usually put a spot on and rub it in immediately before going out for a walk. By the time I get home it's well soaked in and the flexing as she walks helps.

Anna is also a dog with a sprung loaded tail, it never stops! consequently the end has been split open so many times that the tip is a mass of scar tissue. So again out comes the Vaseline at intervals to soften it to help to prevent splitting.

Regards, John
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Great John,
Hoped you might come up with something. By the way, got Gills book which I am thoroughly enjoying. Thankyou.
John

Post by John »

Glad you like it Lynn, Gill Averis is a vet, but just as important, a dog person. So the book is written one dog person to another.

Got to say though, I love reading and love reading dog books in particular. You can find some wonderful old books on Ebay. I've over the years brought several "Veteranery" books, including one written in the 1920's and another from the mid 1930's. (Some of the cures in there are truly horrific! Talk about kill or cure and in some cases I think the former is more likely!) Add to that some working gundog books from the masters of the past, now long dead. (again, I'd not use some of the methods, but some are as relevent today as they were the day they were written.)

Regards, John