Monty

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

sammingtonsmythes

Re: Monty

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Hi again
Just tried a few things with Monty and the car.He was very keen to get on the back seat with me.I sat in the dogs and he was happy to jump in with me on a long lead so he could jump down if he wanted to.Without me in the dogs i threw a treat in and he jumped in took the treat staight away without looking at all worried then jumped out.He got lots of praise for being so brave.Its a start!I am wondering whether even seeing the ramp is upsetting him.Will try getting him in without the ramp in sight.Slowly slowly will get there in the end.He hates me being out of his sight as i suppose i am his comfort zone.If you close the front door when he is in the garden he wants to come in straight away.He is a wonderful dog and would give him anything to make him happy,Ellie too of course would give my life for them i know all of you feel the same :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Reading Bosuns story really made me see red. Why oh why do some people get an animal and then resort to such mindless behaviour? Poor soul, my heart goes out to these poor dogs. Couldn't you just shake some folk, or worse :2011:
At least he had some quality time with Diane and family, and for that we must be thankful. What a handsome lad he was.Ooh, blood boiling time again.
sammingtonsmythes

I'm afraid the person that owned Bosun was sectioned-i can mention this as Bosun wasn't one of Jan's and this was a long time ago.You have to feel sorry for the owner.In Bosun's memory we now take in rescue Goldens as he completely changed our lives and came to me when i was most in need.An absolute angel in every way.Miss him and all the others every day. :2005:
Last edited by sammingtonsmythes on Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammingtonsmythes

All tuckered out feel like joining them!
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

A bit late in replying to this post.... I've got one of these vodafone dongle thingys and the signal is a bit hit and miss !!!! I don't get fed up with lovely photographs of goldens..... the more the merrier.

In reply to travelling.... Ginnie has never wanted to jump in either my or hubby's car.... except when coming down the steps from the vets !

Don't think Cobi had been in a car much.... 'pukey lukey' we called her..... oh dear even worse than Abigail who we had from a pup.... up it came down it went, rubber gloves, detol, plastic bags, were essential on every trip for the first 6 months with us... NOW she jumps in every time and sometimes lies in the car when the tailgate is up when we are caravanning (after Ginnie has pulled her vet beds out) and the inside is shady. We always tried to take her somewhere interesting for a walk at the end of a trip out in the car. We've had a few that have been travel sick, Ginnnie was never sick, she just panted a bit. Never had any that have barked, but if I did I would probably try valerian and skullcap, which is what we used to used for Ginnie when thunder or fireworks occur, she seems more relaxed now, someone was shooting the other night a few fields from where we are and she never flinched. :1960:
sammingtonsmythes

They are all different aren't they.We used to have one Holly who was terrified and i mean terrified of thunder and fireworks,she used to bark in your face for hours.Her eyes used to roll back in her head it was so upsetting.Nothing seemed to help her either.The adrenaline used to over-rule the sedation.Then new research showed that sedation didn't stop the fear it just stopped them showing it(it didn't with Holly)Then the uppers-we would have been better taking them.We have had a few barkers ,that makes it very hard to concentrate when you are driving.Our first golden Briar used to bark all the way to the motorway(about an hour)when we used to go to devon to visit my parents when they lived there.She would stand all the way looking out the window enjoying the view even though she was very old,and jump out the other end as bright as a button looking for her bowl(we would be shattered and deaf!)!When we brought Monty home he was settled in the car he didn't make a peep once we got him in that is!!Ask Jan!!Never had one travel sick that must be nerve wracking!We have vetbeds too aren't they cosy and you can wash them on a really hot temperature.Hugs all round x :love4
marianne

Post by marianne »

Very uncanny, monty looks just like jasper very golden ears with medium colour body, even the same body and face shape. I,m sure if they were side by side you would have trouble telling them apart.

Jasper didn,t like the car , mainly because we live 5 mins walk from a huge heath and we are surrounded by walk able dog walking places, so even though we got him from a pup he was not used to a car.

What we did was my son would climb in the boot with treats then Jasper would jump in, we would have to drive down the road for about 2 miles then my son would climb back over to his seat. Even now jasper refuses to get in unless we throw treats in.
He is getting better, if he cries my son goes in the boot with him. ( its worse than having a baby)
Hel_Pen

Post by Hel_Pen »

Reading your stories about travel reminded me of a visit to the lake district on holiday a couple of years ago. Jazz and Daisy went on a bus for the first time. Daisy was always a bit scared of new things, but Jazz takes most things in her stride. She happily trotted down to the back of the bus and jumped up on to the back seat and sat looking out of the window! Everyone on the bus was in stitches laughing at her. Much to her dismay I removed her from the seat back on to the floor.

:1968