Microchips don't always stay in right place.

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Microchips don't always stay in right place.

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

We had Cobi microchipped the day after we collected her from Jan a couple of years ago, as we had done with Ginnie some 7 years previously. I found quite a pronounced lump around the front side of Cobi's neck and obviously feared the worst some couple of weeks after her being 'chipped', so we took her to see our usual Vet who said that the lump was not normal and to keep an eye on it and he would remove it, in a week or so if necessary. It then disappeared completely, I took her to the Vet and asked if would see if her microchip was where he had put it, it wasn't - it had slipped to where the lump had been, and I know why - Cobi and Ginnie play-fight with each other, in fact I remove their collars in the house as Cobi tries to swing Ginnie round by it and Ginnie grabs Cobi by the neck, well you can imagine the rest... to someone without a dog they sound like little monsters, but they're not, they love each and will clean a dish or plate together, no quarrels or growls - except playtime.
We have the 'chip' checked and it's still in the same position 2 yrs later.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yes I have heard of them moving even down as far the front leg... :)
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Microchips do move. On one dog it took the vet over 6 months trying at differnt times to find it. We knew he was chipped. I think it would pay everyone who has a dog chipped to have it checked periodically to make sure it is where it should be. Some vets will not have it that they move.

If you lost your chipped dog and he was scanned quickly in the stray dog pound and they couldn't find it. What a worry. So don't be complacent keep checking.
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

What about putting a tag on his/her collar saying the dog is chipped - it might make them have a proper look ??
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

I have read in the papers about a dog that went abroad on a Pet Passport and had to go into quarantine because his microchip had slipped and couldn't be detected. I think I might get the vet to check the dogs (not that we intend going abroad) just to be on the safe side
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I know most people have a tag on the collar and one saying I am microchipped but we are talking about when things go wrong not the everyday things.

You may have taken the collar off to say bath the dog and a loud noise and off they go. Then you need the microchip. What if the window cleaner left the gate open and the collar got snagged on the fence and came off. These are all things that have happened.

Microchips are for when the unexpected happens.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Identity discs on dogs

Both Ginnie and Cobi are microchipped, both wear a collar when out, even in the sea, Ginnie also wears a harness with tags, discs etc., 'cos Gin is the sinful version, we call her sinful Ginful! she has lost numerous disqs, tags and collars. Head down a bunny hole and most of her body. Our dogs don't have their names or addresses on the disc, if our dogs were stolen the thief would know what to call them and have our address. We have our home telephone number,our two mobile numbers in case we are away caravanning and the account number at our vets on their discs, there is also the 'chip' tag The receptionists at the Vets know us so well because I'm always asking for tags with 'scan me ' which should really read scan me 'cos I'm a devil' or words to that effect.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Re: Microchips don't always stay in right place.

We took Ginnie to the vets again this morning as she appears to have a 'fluid lump' which is not a tumour (phew... thank goodness) but she is still not willing to eat 'proper food' and only eats gravy bones in abundance either from our hands and the floor... she breaks them into pieces and swallows them without any problem (nothing wrong with her throat or neck.... another phew....) whilst the vet was taking a blood sample, I suddenly wondered as I noticed the microchip paddle on the wall if Ginnie's chip had moved. It had and it is in front of this 'fluid lump'. The blood tests results come back later.
He then checked Cobi and her microchip has slipped even further down and is now at the top of her leg !!!!!!!!
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Microchips don't always stay in right place.

Post by Ellas mum »

Ella's microchip does sometimes move from one side of her shoulder blade to the other and on the odd occasion, I have mistaken it for " something else", as it's quite big. We had her chipped in the same week that she came to live with us and on her tag it says," I am microchipped" and gives the number of our vet, and our name and address. He also advised us NOT to put HER name on it.

Hope Ginnies blood tests are ok Lynda x