Sam's 4-Year Anniversary.

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Samsmum

Sam's 4-Year Anniversary.

Post by Samsmum »

Hello Friends!
Well, today it is 4 years since we took our beloved Sam into our home.
When I spoke to Jan initially, I expressed a preference for a bitch about 3 years old, but four years ago today she rang me to say she had a dog about 2-years old - did that cancel him out. I told her it didn't and that afternoon we went over to Chorley to see him.
What a surprise - he was very small, quite smooth-coated and hump-backed!! I'm sure my face must have been a study when I first saw him. I even asked Jan if he was a Whippet. Poor little lad was terrified and he was so hunched up that his tail was emerging from somewhere between his front legs!
Jan suggested we take him for a walk, so we did, and he loosened up quite a bit but was still very frightened.
I asked how old he was and Jan said the Warden who picked him up said he was about two.
We decided to take him home with us and we have never looked back.
When we took him to the vet, she said he was about eleven months which reassured me as I had visions of having the first "Dwarf Golden!"
No way would we have returned him though, he was so sweet and so vulnerable, and as I have said before he did come with a few hangups (recorded in Sam's first book) such as didn't like men, and pulled the bottom of a couple of lap-trays giving us an early Christmas!
But you know, he is the best dog we have ever had. He is loving, devoted to us, very obedient, quite clean (except when there is water about, and then not so fussy!!) and we absolutely adore him.
Watching Sam develop was like watching a butterfly coming out of a chrysalis - his coat grew and had kinks in it, and his personality soon developed, and as he became more confident, men became no problem, and we have had four wonderful years with him.
We will never be able to thank Jan enough - she is amazing - she found us the perfect friend and companion.
So all we can say is "Jan you are wonderful; you have provided us with a dog who has proved to be perfect for us and our lifestyle - thank you so much".
Must go now - tears are welling up!
Best wishes to you all and your beautiful Goldens.
Samsmum (Joyce). :1942: :1954: :1969
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Sam's 4-Year Anniversary.

Post by Ellas mum »

:2035: Hi Joyce,

What a lovely story, and a Happy Forever home Day to Sam.
He is a lucky boy to have you as his family, and not forgetting your neighbour, Harold, who thinks the world of him too.

Our Golden friends are precious to us, and we don't ask for any reward from them, but boy do we get it, a million times over and more.

Hope you've all had a lovely day. :bighug: s for Sam.

Jean, Ray and Ella :love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Welcome home day Sam, Joyce and David.
A lovely story told by Joyce, and such a happy one. Lucky boy to have you both, and not forgetting the wonderful Harold, his friend.
Hope it's been a lovely day for you all.

Yes, we are all endebted to Jan and her wonderful way of finding us "the right one"

Lxx :love6 him and her send :bighug: to Sam
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Have a fantastic day sam , you deserve it so much, its so heartwarming to read your story.Its amazing that no matter how there life has been at times, they still give so much love to humans and they give it unconditionally .Jan knows who will be the perfect parents for her goldens,and it must make her so proud to hear how Sam has enriched your household, and Harolds of course. I hope to meet you and Sam of course when the fun day comes around, until then we send our love to you all. :1951: :love4 Len Celia Emily and Snowy.
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello there!
Thank you all so much for your good wishes; they are very much appreciated. It is like being in a big happy family who strive to do all they can for their beautiful
dogs.
Today has not been much of a leisure day - David has been in London all day, and I have had lessons this morning, this afternoon and tonight. It isn't like that every day thank goodness! But Sam and I have had fun in between and he has been greeted royally by all my students, and he has laid down beside them and listened to all their mistakes!! (And the good parts!)
Our very best wishes to you all and to your lovely Goldens.
Love from Samsmum (Joyce, David and Sam).
:2035:
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Happy home day Sam lots of licks Ellie and Monty xx
So lovely to hear your story Joyce and David.It brings back memories
of our two visits to the kennels to meet Jan and our new boys first Sam and now
Monty.
What a lucky boy to have found two such loving owners
love Diane :1971
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

Hello there!
Again, many thanks for your all your good wishes. I forgot to mention that Harold was away yesterday, but when he comes home on Friday I am sure there will be a celebration with him. For a while Sam did not see him often as Harold had a very bad foot, and we were afraid Sam might tread on it. However, glad to say that Harold's foot is almost better now, so Sam has been spending a bit more time with him. It is wonderful to see them together. I have a lovely photograph of the two of them together, and when I can get David to sit down for long enough (very busy man!!) I will get him to put it on the site. Meantime, our love and best wishes to you all - Joyce, David and the lovely Sam. XX :1969 :hello1:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

How lucky is Sam to have a home like yours, just shows what love and kindness can do, they say you always get the dog you need, not the dog you want...

Happy Anniversary Sam.. :love3
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

That's lovely Joyce.....hugs and kisses to Sam..... :love4
We are also endebted to Jan for choosing our two so well, :love4 ........ it is amazing what love and patience does for them :love4

Lynda