is it time for a new golden yet?

Share your feeding plans, preferences on food choices and any hints & tips on feeding related matters or nutrition

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

milo's mum

is it time for a new golden yet?

Post by milo's mum »

first of all i would like to thank you all for reading about milo and for posting your messages of condolence. we can't tell you how nice it was of you all. xx
it has now been nearly a month and we can finally look at his photos without the tears starting to fall. most of the time anyway. the problem we have now is that we have room for another (very large) dog bed and nobody to fill it.
we all miss the sight of a big hairy one greeting us at the kitcthen door (where else?).
we already have a black lab who is 11 years old (ours from a pup). not too sluggish and still likes a walk but not too great on play anymore thankyou. but truth be known she still misses doggy company. ( milo was her friend for 9 and a half years after all). she tried to make friends in the park the other day and the other dog was not up for being friendly. in fact she has now tried this several times with no luck.
me, steve and the girls will not have a problem having a new dog. plenty of love and patience and with our own pet supplies business no shortage of anything else either. what we need to think about is wether it will be ok with "our george". it is one thing to want another dog but not at the expense of the happiness of a very much loved one we already have.
what i am asking you my goldie friends is have any of you had experience bringing a new dog (not a puppy though) into a home in a similar situation to this? if you have i would really appreciate you letting me know how you got on so we can make a real informed decision rather than letting our hearts rule our head.
sammingtonsmythes

Re: is it time for a new golden yet?

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Hi!
we have taken Ellie to meet the prospective new dog first to see if they get on on the two occasions that we have had Sam and then Monty.She is very laid back though and would get on with a rottweiller if we took one in!!Its always best to introduce them on neutral ground.I so hope you find a new friend for your girl.When they are used to doggie company its hard but then all are different.Good luck
love Diane,Ellie and Monty
:love4
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

When we lost our first golden , the emptiness of our house seemed huge, not long after I contacted Jan,soon after we picked up Emily and a few months later we picked up Snowy not everyone wants another dog as soon, everyone is different. Jan is the one to speak to about rehoming another dog , she will help you in anyway she can about all the aspects of introducing a new dog into your home. I Hope you get a happy ending , keep us informed of any developments. :thumbleft
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

We were so sorry for you to read you had lost your beloved Milo, you never forget them . Our thoughts are with you.
I am sure you will know when the time is right to get another dog.
P, S J & C
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

milo's mum wrote:first of all i would like to thank you all for reading about milo and for posting your messages of condolence. we can't tell you how nice it was of you all. xx
it has now been nearly a month and we can finally look at his photos without the tears starting to fall. most of the time anyway. the problem we have now is that we have room for another (very large) dog bed and nobody to fill it.
we all miss the sight of a big hairy one greeting us at the kitcthen door (where else?).
we already have a black lab who is 11 years old (ours from a pup). not too sluggish and still likes a walk but not too great on play anymore thankyou. but truth be known she still misses doggy company. ( milo was her friend for 9 and a half years after all). she tried to make friends in the park the other day and the other dog was not up for being friendly. in fact she has now tried this several times with no luck.
me, steve and the girls will not have a problem having a new dog. plenty of love and patience and with our own pet supplies business no shortage of anything else either. what we need to think about is wether it will be ok with "our george". it is one thing to want another dog but not at the expense of the happiness of a very much loved one we already have.
what i am asking you my goldie friends is have any of you had experience bringing a new dog (not a puppy though) into a home in a similar situation to this? if you have i would really appreciate you letting me know how you got on so we can make a real informed decision rather than letting our hearts rule our head.
From a totally personal point of view, I couldnt be with out two, recently our Lucy was very ill and we thought we may lose her luckily we didnt, and she came out of it ok, but it only made us both realise that having one dog just didnt seem right...
Im sure you will know when the time is right but most of all George will tell you if he/she is right for him, best to ring Jan (if you havent already!)she will advise you....Good Luck...:)