Ellie poorly

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

sammingtonsmythes

Ellie poorly

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Hello everyone
Dear Ellie has had a bleed on the brain this morning.She went into a fit ,vomited, with her eyes darting from left to right constantly with her head to one side.The vet says it might not be as bad as it looks.90% of elderly dogs that it happens to recover completely.I had never heard of this.Getting her outside to do anything is going to be a challenge.As terrible as it is to see her like this the next 2 days are crucial.Please think good things for Ellie we love her so much.
It was her 13th Birthday yesterday, and as you all know she has been so well and active.I am hoping that this will help her and she can make a complete recovery.We can't get her outside to relieve herself every time we try and lift her with two towels under her tummy she just flails around quite violently and can't put her feet down she has no idea which way up she is.I think this is because her head is tilted.Please has anyone got any ideas how we can get her to relieve herself?
much love my friends
Diane
Last edited by sammingtonsmythes on Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superjazz

Re: Ellie poorly

Post by superjazz »

Poor Ellie, from us and our two 13 year olds the very best wishes . Our thoughts are with you.
P, S J & C
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Our love and thoughts are with you and Ellie at this worrying time, Get well Ellie soon from Emily and Snowy, woof woof. :2362:
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Oh dear Diane, I am so sorry to hear about Ellie but My Poppy years ago had three of these over a period of four years and she lived to a ripe old age. The problem is if they are not determined and are a bit frightened of the situation.

I think you are doing the right thing trying to get her outside to wee to make her more comfortable because she will not want to do it in the house. Be confident when helping her outside. She will know if you are worried and it will make her worried.

Sorry I am not more help but she may be different again in a couple of days. Big hugs from us all here :love4
Linda

Post by Linda »

Oh Diane I hope poor Ellie is ok and makes a quick recovery. We are all thinking about her and you.

Lots of love to Ellie :love4
Linda and Honey
Hel_Pen

Post by Hel_Pen »

I'm so sorry to hear Ellie is unwell. I have not been in this situation myself, but the only thing I can think of is to get some of those puppy training pads and put one underneath her. At least then if she has to go to the toilet it will absorb what she does and it can be quickly removed so she is not in any great discomfort for long.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Helen.xxxx
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you so much everyone for your help and good wishes.Jan we have carried her outside in a quilt all 39kgs of her flailing around but would she pee- would she heck.So i think she will probably just pee in her sleep hopefully.Then she will be more comfortable.Thanks again for all your support
:2039:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Oh poor Ellie, it must have been very frightening for her and for you also.
You are all in our thoughts Diane.....love and hugs for Ellie :love4 :bighug:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

So sorry to hear about Ellie, poor old girl. She must be wondering what's wrong.
Hope all goes well for you Diane and Ellie.
:love6: Will be thinking of you.
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you so much everyone!Its going to be a long night
x
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

love and kisses :love4 to you all especially Ellie :love4

We have used towels under tummies to get an elderly golden outside, I can't think of any other way except one of those soft protection harnesses similar to the 'search and rescue' dogs wear when they go out to an earthquake.

Lynda x
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Sorry to hear about Ellie, hope she is feeling better soon...
sammingtonsmythes

Hi everyone
Thank you so much for your good wishes.Well a fitful night i'm afraid.Ellie is brighter though today and more settled.The Vet has been again and with 4 of us with towels under her and Ellie been less panicky and trying to put her feet down the vet managed to put pressure on her bladder so she had a long pee bless her.She is eating and drinking fine so that's good.We have to keep turning her over to relieve the pressure on her joints.We have ordered a special harness for lifting her so might be better on my Husbands back and my neck(pair of crocks).Its called a walkabelly harness
http://www.dogmobility.com/harness.html great website.Will let you know how we go one with it.
Thanks again for all your support

Diane,Andy,Ellie and Monty
:love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Pleased to hear she is a little better today Diane, always such a worry. Did the vet show you how to help her toilet? Can't imagine how that must hurt if she can't manage on her own yet.Keep us posted.
Hugs to all.
Lxxx
sammingtonsmythes

Hi Lynn
many thanks for your message.She isn't thrashing around as much when you lift her today, so should be easier.The vet showed us how to put a little pressure on Ellie's bladder.You stand behind her, when she is stood up or being held up with towels under her ,running your fingers towards you to the end of her rib cage putting light pressure underneath where her ribs end- fingers crossed not tried it yet!
:love4