Ellie poorly

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Ellie poorly

Post by lenny »

So glad to hear Ellie is a little better today, we are all thinking what you must and Ellie be going through, and hope she is soon back to her old self. Please keep us updated.get well soon Ellie. :love3 :love5
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Thank you so much Lenny.Its a complete nightmare.The only thing that is keeping us going is the vets telling us what a difference a few days can make and that its quite common and mostly fully recoverable . :love4
sammingtonsmythes

Had no luck with the toilet duty i'm afraid.You need two hands at the front and four at the back holding her up and trying to put pressure on her bladder.We tried placing her on a little stool still no good she would NOT pee .So all three of us collapsed back in the house totally exhausted.Hoping the harness arrives tomorrow feel utterly useless :2026:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Ellie will know you are trying your best, try not to let your frustration get to you and her, I know from experience, the calmer you are the calmer she will be, She may surprise you and try to get to her feet herself, and both or you together,succeed in getting to the loo.I do hope her improvement continues, take one day at a time . :love4
sammingtonsmythes

Funnily enough Lenny she did manage to get to her feet during the night so i took the chance to get her to pee on a vet bed should have seen the relief on her face and mine!!Thanks for the advice i know what you mean about trying not to let our frustrations get to Ellie.
:love4
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Better news Diane.
What about getting some of those puppy pads to put down for her, save on the washing. Or even loads of newspaper.
Poor girl, I'm sure she must have been so much better after that. You too, knowing she'd been.
sammingtonsmythes

Absolutely Lynn!The harness has arrived too :thumbsup: Just waiting for the vet to arrive.Ellies eyes look much better too this morning less darting around.Wish the same could be said for mine!The good thing about the vet bed(we have a few) is that it doesn't soak through.Going to try the harness out soon will let you know how we go on.Thank you so much for your concern
sammingtonsmythes

Ellie update-
Ellie is doing really well and actually standing up now and again.The harness is brilliant and i have managed to move her to the kitchen(favourite room of course) as she was showing signs of wanting to herself.Vet really pleased with her.Fingers crossed everyone!
:1957:
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

What fantastic news, she has improved so much already, keep it up Ellie, we are rooting for you girl. :thumbs up:
sammingtonsmythes

Thanks Lenny she's a real fighter
Montys looking after Ellie really well wouldn't normally take photo of poorly dog just thought you would like to see how devoted Monty is.

Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

So pleased Ellie is on the mend Diane. Monty looks to have a real empathy with her, bless him.
Fingers crossed that she continues to get well.

Thinking of you all :bighug: x
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you so much will let you all know how she is going on in a few days time.Really appreciate all your support everyone retriever owners all stick together.Thanks Jan too for your kind help
:love6 :love4
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

So pleased to hear Ellie is getting better,as others have said dogs do pick up on our feelings, and its only natural for you to be worried,but I always find that a nice soft massage goes a long way,and helps to relax both you and your dog, try it it may help you both...maybe have some lavendar about the house that is very relaxing.... :)
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Good news Diane, things beginning to turn a corner.
Well done Monty, he's certainly keeping a close eye on her.
Hope she continues to improve at the same rate.
Hugs to all.
sammingtonsmythes

Thank you for your good wishes have been massaging Ellie and stretching her legs.As you can see in the photo she is very relaxed now and Monty too he has been very gentle with her.Thanks very much Lynn too we are all a bit more at ease now