milo cook 15/5/00 to 18/5/11

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

milo's mum

milo cook 15/5/00 to 18/5/11

Post by milo's mum »

we got milo when he was 18 months old as a playmate to our labrador george, he stank to high heaven in the car on the way home weed on her toy box and sniffed his way around the house. and after a nice warm bath he was the scrawniest scraggiest looking golden we'd ever seen.he learnt to use the dog flap within the first hour of being in the house (with the aid of good boy choc drops) but our big hairy bear (as he soon became) was the most sweet natured dog and yes he soon put on weight and made himself at home. in fact the 2 dogs decided between them they would have a settee to share. they were very good together and we never had any trouble with either of them. we brought home 2 children and still neither of them batted an eyelid, in fact over the years milo ended up wearing their sunhats and glasses and he wouldn't even move while they did it. although he could have used them as they always had at least one holiday every year. mainly in cornwall.
fast forward to 11 years old and we had to take the awful decision to have him put to sleep due to a massive infection in his lymph nodes that our poor boy could just not fight.
our 2 daughters were distraught at not having had chance to say goodbye so when we got his ashes back i put some of them in a little pot and bought them a cuddly dog each(duly called milo) and sewed the pot containing his ashes inside the toy. needless to say he goes to bed with them every night and gets the cuddles he always enjoyed. i hope you all enjoy your goldens , because the time you have with them will never be enough. i would also like to thank jan for giving us to milo because he was simply the most loving dog we have ever known.
Samsmum

Re: milo cook 15/5/00 to 18/5/11

Post by Samsmum »

Really sorry to hear of your loss of Milo - you must be feeling distraught, but in time hopefully your sadness will diminish and you will enjoy memories of the happy times you shared.
It is incredible how Jan manages to match up the Goldens to the right people to have them; she must have an instinct which tells her where to re-home the dogs. You know you have done everything you could for Milo, and I hope this brings you strength.
Thinking about you at this very sad time, and hoping that you will gradually feel better. Most of us have gone through distressing times, losing our beloved pets, and our sympathy is with you.
Samsmum (Joyce)
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Sorry to hear about Milo..... it doesn't matter how many years we are lucky enough to have them for..... it is never long enough, we have lovely memories and thousands of photographs to treasure, which helps us a little :love4
julie

Post by julie »

So sorry to hear your sad news.

I hope your memories will bring you and the girls comfort at this sad time and be your treasures when it becomes a little easier to remember your friend with smiles not tears.

Thinking of you all,
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I know what a wonderful life Milo had and how much he was loved.

Thinking of you

Jan
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

You gave him a wonderful life and thats all a dog can ask of a human...bury him in your heart and he will never go away...
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

So sorry for your loss Milo's family.My thoughts are with you all
love Diane,Ellie and Monty
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Our thoughts are with you all at this awful time, Im sure Milo had such a wonderful loving life with you and repaid that love many times over. We know the pain you are going through and hope that soon your happy memories of your time with Milo replace the sad ones you are feeling at the moment. All our family send their love to you and your family.Lenny Celia Emily and Snowy. :love4
ceitadh

Post by ceitadh »

I'm so sorry to read you have lost your good friend Milo. Your home is never the same without them. Just now it is very tough in the begining but it will get a little easier as time goes on.We lost our golden called Katie in January she was just short of her 14th birthday,had her since she was eight weeks old.Like everyone on here that has lost a golden know how you and your family are feeling. I know it helped/Helps me when I need to talk or share my thoughts with other golden lovers. Take care and don't be tough on yourselves its good to share your thoughts and feelings.
Best wishes to you and your family.

Audrey,Gordon and Louise.