another sad day

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

another sad day

Post by janrobinson »

Sadly I had to say goodbye to dear old Duke yesterday. Such a grand old man, never a cross word to anyone just went along at his own pace and did his own thing. I have only had him 3 years and he was apoorly old man when he came. Kept in a garage.Elbows bleeding. About 3 stone overweight as he hadnever been walked. He couldn't stand up. He didn't know what a walk was and he had to be on a lead all the time as if I took it off he just stood there not knowing what to do. He also had testicular cancer which I had rmoved as soon as he came to me.

He improved from then on and had some lovely walks and I hope a lovely life. It is never long enough because you always wish you had had them sooner and that they shouldn't have gone through those unhappy years.

Lucy and I are bereft at the moment.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Re: another sad day

Post by lenny »

Jan we send you all our love at another sad time for you. Duke was loved for the last few years of his life, I have said before you really are a saint, I could not go through the pain you go through so many times. You have made our lives so much richer, and we can never thank you enough. we are all thinking of tonight and every night, god bless you Jan :love2
Hel_Pen

Post by Hel_Pen »

Jan I am so sorry that you have lost your beloved Duke. He will forever be in your heart. It makes me so mad that people can be so cruel, whether intentional or not, but Duke was finally blessed to be taken in by you. Be comforted that his time with you was the best and happiest.

:love4
Samsmum

Post by Samsmum »

So sorry, Jan. At least his last years were happy and comfortable, thanks to you.
Our thoughts are with you and Lucy.
God Bless - Joyce.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Jan Im so very sorry to hear this sad news, and I only saw him on Saturday,such a lovely old boy... :2024: thinking of you and Lucy...x
milo's mum

Post by milo's mum »

it's our turn to be thinking of you now jan, such a sad time for everyone but at least there is the comfort of knowing that he knew what real human love and kindness felt like. even if it was for just three short years. sending our love. steve, jo,leigh-anne and charlie xx.
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

So very sorry to hear your sad news Jan. Duke's twilight years spent with you, and Lucy......Bonnie and Tessa, will have been happy and contented. They are never with us long enough.

You and Lucy are in our thoughts,

Jean, Ray and Ella x
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Thank you everyone for your words of comfort. I must be getting old as this as hit me harder this time.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Jan, have just read your sad news, oh dear, we are so very sorry to hear about Duke. Our thoughts are with you and Lucy.
You have the knack of enriching OUR lives through your wonderful and tireless work, so please be comforted in the knowledge that we are with you at this sad time.
Hugs to you and Lucy.
from David, Lynn,Willow and Woody.
:love4
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

So very sorry Jan sending you all my love.Duke was such very lucky boy to have been chosen by you Jan.You did such an amazing job giving him a long and happy life with you.Have been thinking about you so much.I have found each one takes a piece of your heart with them and it does take a long time to come to terms with the loss.From the bottom of my heart i hope your sadness can be healed by Lucy and be comforted to know that we are all here for you at this difficult time.
take care of yourself Jan
much much love Diane
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

So sorry Jan to read of the sad loss of Duke, you probably gave him the best Years of his life. Our deepest sympathy to you and Lucy. Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.
Pat , Syd , Jazz & Candy
cathy22

Post by cathy22 »

So sorry to hear of your sad loss Jan, thinking of you x
ceitadh

Post by ceitadh »

I'm so sorry to read you have lost your friend Duke.Thinking of you at this very sad and hard time.

Audrey,Gordon and Louise.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Jan

So sorry to hear about Duke...... he did have a lovely life with you, Bonnie, Tessa and Lucy.... were are thinking about you.......... :love4

The time we have is never long enough with our golden pals....... :love4

Lynda, Les, Ginnie and Cobi
xxxx
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Hope you don't mind Jan
Thought everyone would like to see a photograph of Duke