Monty

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

sammingtonsmythes

Monty

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

Hello everyone
Thanking you all so much for your support over the past few days.
Well its only now Ellie has gone that i realise how much of a carer you become
when looking after the every need of an elderly dog.Feel at a loss.But Monty needs me
too.He has withdrawn into himself a bit.Curled up on the sofa next to me last night
and never moved until bed time.He is finding his place i suppose.Ellie was the more dominant
one a mother figure to him.You will have seen the photos of him resting his head on her.
We have just been out frisbee throwing and we are both tuckered out now.
Bit worried how he will be the first time i leave the house and he is on his own.
That will be tomorrow only for a couple of hours will keep you posted.
I know Ellie had a good happy long life with us and we didn't let her suffer in the end which is the
best thing you can do.She was the sweetest natured girl.So sensitive to your feelings.I can tell you a lot of people are going to miss her not just us.Still she is with her Sam now.That is why i am called Sammingtonsmythes.it was our pet name for Ellie & Sam mrs & mrs sammington smythe silly really but you do don't you!They would play such rough and tumble games together.They were the perfect match.Monty gave Ellie a friend in her last years.Although she was too old for rough & tumble she was partial still to a bit of tug o war and definately to having her ears licked by Monty.
Now for a new era in our lives.We are going to see how we feel in the summer and how Monty is coping.Andy is a bit reticent about having another at the moment which is understandable.Will let him come to terms with it slowly
love to all you lovely people sending my love and big hugs to all your furries
love Diane,Andy & Monty
xxx :2026:
hairydog

Re: Monty

Post by hairydog »

Diane, Im so sorry to hear about you losing Ellie,sounds like she has a wonderful life with you,and some dogs cant say that.Im sure when you are ready for another golden you will be ringing Jan... :) in the meantime enjoy your "Monty & Me time"...
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Diane,

You do feel at such a loss when you no longer have to attend to an elderly or sick dog's every need... especially the numerous tablets, before food, after food etc., the last 3 months of Ginnie's life Les was making up a bed downstairs as Ginnie could no longer manage getting down the stairs and we were worried she may fall if she tried... you know how determined they can be !!! Les said it was a bit like caravanning without the lovely views !!!

Cobi is OK, I too worried for her at first as she had never been on her own, she 'goes down' if she feels threatened by another dog who sniffs at her, whereas with Ginnie beside her she was much bolder.... Ginnie was the most dominant female golden we have ever owned, but she would give into Cobi when playing rough.... unless she felt she had to make a point. Cobi no doubt misses their playtimes, as she brings us the toys to tug, and as we have always had two dogs (three when Jasmine came to live with us) it is probably us who feel that she should at sometime have another 'pal'.
When I get upset I try not to let Cobi see it....as dogs certainly pick up the vibes and know that something is the matter. I wasn't sure how she would react to being left alone whilst I went shopping but she is fine, and my friends golden has been here, and they play rough together.
It's been 6 weeks today since we said goodbye to Ginnie, I still miss her dreadfully, but having thousands of photographs helps.... I spent 2 hours the other day mending the toys, the little devils would pull them apart when playing.... but it was Ginnie who 'turfed' them and pulled all the stuffing out, 'smiling' at me as she did it, whilst I was telling her off.... strange but it's something else that I really miss.
Diane, you will know when it's right to welcome another golden ray of sunshine into your home. :love4
sammingtonsmythes

Oh that is so lovely.What wonderful memories you have of you dear Ginnie.Thank you for your support it is Lynda isn't it i am terrible at remembering names!Monty has never like me leaving and goes berserk.So it might be difficult for him on his own.They do change personality slightly when they lose or gain a companion.Ellie came into her own when we lost Holly.Took over the dominant position.We have been careful not to show him we are upset.But he is a very sensitive boy and very intuitive.Not tried to steal Daddy's hat or gloves from his pockets at all today.He brought me a toy just the once.I am sure time will heal us all.I have been thinking about you these past 6 weeks.I send you my love and lots of hugs too.
Think its going to take me a while before i keep taking 2 bowls out at feeding time!
Love to Cobi and yourselves
Diane,Andy & Monty
:love4
sammingtonsmythes

Also thank you for the message re Monty & me time.You are kind.
It will take time for us all
love
x
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi Diane and Lynda,

While sitting reading your very poignant but also uplifting stories, I realized just how many of our friends on here have lost their Golden companions in the last 12 months or so. Sometimes, I don't think we are truly aware of how much a part of our lives they have become until we lose them. When we welcome our beautiful rescued Goldens into our homes, we give them love, warmth and security, but we receive so much more. It must also be hard for the Golden that remains, looking for his/her new status in the family.

I'm sure that Monty and Cobi will do their best to comfort you and memories of Ellie and Ginnie will always be with you.

Thinking of you all, Jean :love4
sammingtonsmythes

Bless you Jean wise words as usual.Monty is eating ok keep to go out etc.
Just quiet but maybe he is more relaxed difficult to say.I think he'll be ok
he has always been a couch potato!Am feeling strangely at rest myself now.
Thank your for your kindness
love Diane x
milo's mum

Post by milo's mum »

i have been reading the stories in this post and it has really made me think about the dogs that are " left behind". when milo died because he was "my baby" i felt bereft and i struggled to keep my bond with george. something i never thought about when he was alive. although i went through the motions with her and i did give her a love i just felt there was something missing between us.because he dominated her she struggled to find her place with us and i had to make an effort when i didn't really feel like it sometimes. i am so glad i did. i feel like i've got a new dog. she loves getting ALL the attention now.
at work i have encountered this a few times among customers too. it does take time for everyone but most of us (people and animals) find a happy place.
i do hope monty and cobi can find their happy place too and i know with your love and support they and you will get there in the end.
jo (milo's mum)
sammingtonsmythes

Thanks Jo its sad but fascinating isn't it how they change as circumstances change.
Monty has always loved lounging around he's doing it even more now.I'm sure he'll grow and become the top dog here when we have another one day.
In the mean time Monty and I are cuddling up lots.
take care
love Diane & Monty
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I really feel for someone who has lost an only dog in the household, caravanning friends lost their 'only dog' in the summer and I have never seen a couple look so lost and so upset, we didn't feel awkward and we shared lovely memories of her with them, a few weeks later they collected another border collie (from rescue) and Sally now has changed their lives again, and we talk about their Rosie who is no longer with us, the same as we still talk about all our dogs, it does and will get easier as the time passes. All of our dogs and my friends goldens when they stayed here have always been treated equally, I have loved everyone of them to bits, they have probably been very spoilt in some people's eyes, but I don't stand any 'stroppiness' either from any of them.... as my husband says.... he knows his place !!!!! :1945:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

When we lost Ben, just before xmas 9 yrs ago, we felt lost, so now its going to be 2 always, I couldnt imagine one dog now...
sammingtonsmythes

I know how you feel.Monty is full of life though.Keeping me busy.
We are going to Portmeirion to stay right on the waters edge in March they take dogs in
the self-catering cottages but only one dog.We used to go a lot when we had house
sitters so will be fantastic to go again.A magical place Monty will love the
beach!!I am not a number i am a free man!(The Prisoner was filmed there)
love Diane ,Andy & Monty
xxx