Cobi - personal trainer to squirrels.

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Cobi - personal trainer to squirrels.

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Having read the article about Blake (a young Golden) in this Saturdays Daily Mail Weekend supplement. I've often wondered what is going through our dogs minds.
Yesterday we visited a friend near Malvern who has a Caravan Club CL, (a field allowing 5 caravans ) we stay there frequently, and as there was no one caravanning we let the dogs into the large field, they had a good run whilst we walked around the outside, then Cobi spotted a squirrel, which she chased the full length of the field, the squirrel missed the branch, fell into the ditch, and she ran back and forth watching him thrash about, the squirrel desperately trying to swim to the other side. Six months earlier she had caught one as he came down the bird feeder we had put up, she didn't kill him just shook him by the neck, when I shouted to leave, she did, it must have been a relative yesterday so he knew what to expect! Her squirrel retrieving started a year ago when she proudly presented one to my Husband on Cannock Chase, it scampered away after she was told to leave, I just hope she has the sense not to get bitten.
patnpaul
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by patnpaul »

Holly regularly see's squirrels on her morning walk. they sit just out of reach while Holly jumps and whines around the tree and generally looks menacing and threatening (not !) :evil: I have never seen a squirrel laugh before. Her new passion is rabbits which she can spot from miles away and is getting closer every chase, I don't know what she will do if one stops or she catches up with one, probably lick it to submission. :roll: Holly has started to chase birds over the last two weeks which she has never done in the 3 months we have had her, I was not sure if it was a christmas thing but when she get's the urge to go she drops whatever is in her mouth (think it's a streamlining action) and runs like the wind, the birds just drifting back and forth across the fields. This can last up to 20 minutes which is great if you don't have to go to work or take the kids to school. Problem is, she comes trotting back and has forgotten where she left the ball and with the fields full of weeds we have lost three so far. She then comes home and goes back to bed for a nap, probably dreaming of the one that got away. It's not a bad life being a dog. 8)
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Is it a girl thing squirrel chasing I wonder? our Lucy can spot a squirrel at 200 yds Paddy on the other hand is too busy sniffing having his nose into a bush to see one until it runs in front of him :)

Balls however is Paddys thing he sleeps with them in his mouth he doesnt do squeekys just balls and has his favourite Red one, if that goes missing panic sets in...
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Timber is a squirel chaser, or listener to be correct. When he's in the woods, you know when there's one about. He does a good Pointer impression, then sets off at a gallop. Often we don't see them, but he knows when there's one about. Think he's moved on recently, much bigger stuff to put up. We encountered a Deer a couple of days ago, now that was taking on a bit more than he could chew :D To be honest, it frightened the wits out of us, at this time of year, the hinds are in calf, and we don't want to worry them unduly. A quick LEAVE did the trick, it makes a beautiful sight, the Deer will then stand and watch before moving off and melting into the bracken.
Our old Holly was a rabbiter, that was until I heard one scream.What a horrible fright for the poor rabbit and me, don't know which of us was the worst! Thankfully, she never did manage to catch one, not for the want of trying :D
teddy bear

Post by teddy bear »

we have a squirel in our garden but the dogs just dont care about it, its nice to see him at the top of the garden, we also have a jay bird which comes down and the dogs just watch,
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

Not much squirrel chasing going on here...lovely to hear the endearing stories of those that do though...
sue

Post by sue »

Yes my Max is obsessed with chasing squirrels,in fact where we walk it is by a resevoir.the instant he is off the lead he leaves us and runs to the woodland which is on a steep slope.We get the odd siting of him running between the trees also the odd siting of a squirrel running up the trunk he hasn't caught one yet.sometimes he runs across the path for a swim but as we call it 'the call of the squirrel,always wins.Everbody else who we see seem to have dogs which amble along beside them staying on the path but not us,we just get a glims of a gold streak every now and then.