Walking near Hawthorne hedges

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

eachsouthgate

Walking near Hawthorne hedges

Post by eachsouthgate »

Beware walks near Hawthorne Hedges that have been trimmed, new or old! This is a little awhile ago but after reading all the posts and all the good advice... I was walking with our Golden on a grassy path edged with Hawthorne bushes. They hadn't recently been trimmed. It was unusual for her not to be with me or out in front, so scanning around, there she was, not far away sat looking at me. When I called her, she came, limping and laid down at my feet. I checked her paws and found the largest dark brown, old thorn pierced right into her pad. Being a gentle soul I knew I'd be fine to examine and it was large enough for me to get a hold of and I pulled it straight out. She was fine almost straight away and I bathed it when I got home.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Walking near Hawthorne hedges

Post by lynn wise »

I had a similar experience with Woody a short while ago. We had been walking along the canal when he started to limp, then came and sat at my feet with his paw held up. Hawthorne and Blackthorn had beened trimmed. On first glance nothing to be seen, then running my finger nail gently over the pads I could just make out something circular and hard. It had penetrated deep into the pad, couldn't get hold of it at all. David had a go whilst I held his paw. The tweezers were brought into action, managing to get the sides in a grip. Nearly had a fit when we saw the length of the thorn. As always, out with the salt water bathe. No trouble after that, back up to speed immediately, no swelling or infection thank goodness. Poor dogs, it must have been so very painful for them.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Re: Walking near Hawthorne hedges

Post by janrobinson »

They must be terribly painful in a paw as they can cut into your tyres and make a right mess. They never think to clear up after themselves just leave all their rubbish in the road. Hope all paws are mended now :love4