Eating absolutly anything

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

sue

Eating absolutly anything

Post by sue »

I'm not sure what or if there is anything that can be done,Max eats anything.I've had him nine months[nine months of absolute joy].But even though i try to keep a close eye on what he eats so far he's eaten ,that i know of,two dead mice,part of a dead magpie,endless sticks,several items i cannot identify.There is no way he will drop them for me.Last week he spent two days in the vets with they think heamorrhagic enteritis[vomiting and poohing fresh blood].At the time he was very poorly but i have got my very boistrous boy back to normal now.Hopefully the insurance will pay up.
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

Its a bit worrying that behaviour as dead animals are full of allsorts of horrible things and the sticks...I would think are even worse to eat than the dead stuff...

Have you thought of taking him to a local dog training class?

The one we went to taught the dogs to LEAVE as part of the training and they used animal skins/pelts as part of the training...along with ginger nut biscuits...toys...and the rest...but the aim was that whatever the item was to teach the dog the LEAVE command...whatever the temptation...

May be worth a try?
teddy bear

Post by teddy bear »

we have to tell the guide dogs to leave, as they cant just pick anything up or pull towards food in the street
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Yep LEAVE and the fish wife voice usually works Rose our trainer (who is sadly passed on and very much missed) taught me this she said you never know when it could save their life, and she was right,in fact Lucy was called " Lucy LEAVE IT" for the first year of her life.. :)
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Timber was one of those dogs that was'nt really bothered about food. Which also had down sides, in that we struggled to find something he liked.
Willow is a whole new ball game! When we are out, she constantly walks with her nose down. Anything and everything will go down in one given the chance. I am the unfortunate possessor of a little voice, which doesn't help. But as you say, the fishwife LEAVE IT, generally surfices, albeit for a few strides till the next grotty morsel appears. I frighten myself sometimes at the BIG voice :D
One young lady that we meet on the moor with a lovely black lab, as had to resort to a muzzle, the vet bills for poorly tummys have overtaken them, no ammount of trying as improved the dog. Some dogs just seem to be born again dustbins, and labs do seem to top the list.
One rescue Goldie that we meet, can find a banana skin at a hundred paces, down in one if mum isn't quick off the mark.

A quick edit..Tim' as a penchant for cow pats..The rest I'll leave to your imagination!Only to say, what isn't eaten is rolled on :D
Never mind, we love em' to bits, even if we always try to be one jump ahead. :D
Last edited by lynn wise on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I daren't tell you what my old girl, the thief ,eats on our walks. No amount of shouting will deter her from gulping down the last " lucky find" I try to run up to her to stop her but she will run off chomping as she goes.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

I can identify with everything that has been mentioned above

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I've tried the 'fish wife' LEAVE IT, also they know the word 'NASTY' which it usually is, and 'SPIT IT OUT' which is the one that sometimes works, but you have to say it with real venom, otherwise it gets gulped down, our two can clear the common of cowpats etc., quicker than I can run (which is not a pretty sight) just as one stops eating the other runs around the back to grab it and finish it off!
Ginnie is the most dominant female we have ever owned and has to 'water' every blade of grass and anything dead when out on the walk!
My Husband can't understand why the nose wins when the distance from the nose to the brain is greater than the distance from the ears to the brain, the nose always wins!
We've been to classes she was a MODEL OF EXCELLENCE at the class, and even had one to one training, if any TV celebrity dog trainer is reading this, do you think you could stop our Ginnie from doing her own thing, she is a real challenge! but she is a lovable one.
Last edited by Cobi and Ginnies Mum on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jiggy

Post by jiggy »

Jack will eat anything :lol:
We chopped the bottoms off all the bushes in our garden to stop him eating the twigs but now he bounces as high as he can and rips the tops off them :shock:
Then he lies down and shreds them!!
He is in training classes and is brilliant with every command other than "LEAVE" :evil:
I do worry about him with the sticks but at least he seems to just want to shred them rather than eat them.
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

Toby used to take all the lower branches off the bushes, rose trees and everything else he could get his teeth into - the little bugger used to bring them into the house and shred them on the carpet..

I planted a new border with over £100 of shrubs towards the end of last year - he destroyed all but 2 -

The worse thing was he used to dig the plants up and bring them to me in the house - tail wagging at 100 mph trying to give me a nice present!!
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Bringing things into the house.....

Cobi still brings things into the house.. the other day she tried to run past me with a broom stale( that my Husband had hammered into the lattice fencing to keep them off the rockery.. fat chance) she thought she could make it through the door with 2ft either side, good job I shouted the magic word OUT otherwise she would have knocked herself bandy!
Cobi loves to prune the buddleia's, but not as my Husband would like! Certain shrubs, bulbs and plants are poisonious, lobelia, daffodil bulbs, how about a list on this website somewhere so we know? I glad other owners have got little b****rs as well, just looked at Toby's photo fast asleep, aah, that avenue of luxury has passed me by today, must be because it's raining! I open the back door, they stay in the kitchen not even bothering to put their heads outside and look at me as much to say, if you think we're going out there chump you're mistaken.
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Lap of honour with a clematis in her mouth

Jade was a naughty young retriever but so lovable.. Dad has planted clematis in the garden and three times Jade dug one particular clematis up running round with it like a trophy.
Gemma the mother of Jade used run into the kitchen barking frantically wanting for us to go outside, there Jade was wildly swinging on the washing whirly gig going round and round and Jade hanging on. She was so wilful. IT'S NOT JUST RESCUE DOGS THAT HAVE THE B****R IN THEM!
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

We must be quite lucky with Amber as she doesn't eat anything like this! Not that she hasn't chewed other stuff though, but its usually of the household variety...slippers/shoes/shelves/books etc...(not her fault I always say, 'she's had a bad start in life!!)

Anyway for Cobbi and Ginnie's mum and interest' here's a link to Dogs Trust who supply a very long list of things poisonous to dogs...

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information ... ousplants/

There's a lot to remember here!
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

THANK YOU 'EASTONWOLFS' RE- POISONOUS TO DOGS

Thank you for that link, we've been a member of Dogs Trust for several years but I have only recently gone onto the internet. I have printed the list (5 pages) and it will go into the dog first aid box, after reading it, I know of quite a few things that are poisonous, Mum puts down raisins and sultanas for the blackbirds so we never let the dogs out there if they haven't gone.
Our vet has giant posters up in the consultation rooms with this information but you can't always remember a lot of it.
When I think of Jade running round with Dad's clematis in her mouth it's a wonder she didn't have all sorts of things wrong with her, Jade lived to be almost 14.
sue

Post by sue »

Thanks for all replies,i may resort to training classes,although at home he is a model of obedience(well almost) so i know he understands the word,it's just when he is off the lead i've tried shrieking at him it worked at first but he's worked out if he runs off with it its easier for him to ignore me.The situation has changed a little he's been eating chicken and rice for over a week and is now refusing his normal food only eating chicken and rice(little monkey).When i put down his normal food,he sniff's it then looks at as if to say"i'm not eating that"and then barks at me,i think i'm being made a mug off.i did reintroduce his normal food back slowly mixing it together over a few days.Thanks for the info about poisons i've been on the web site,i knew a few but didn't realise there are so many.