dog ramp suggestion

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

julia

dog ramp suggestion

Post by julia »

Harvey is not a fan of the car, but loves going to fun places, so no choice but to travel in the car.
Alan has to lift Harvey in and out off the car which isn't good given that Harvey is getting bigger and Alan isn't getting younger. We need a good ramp, at the fun day last year we were parked next to a couple who had one for their dog, but I can't remember the make.
Does anybody have any suggestions. We have a people carrier VW Touran.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Re: dog ramp suggestion

Post by lynn wise »

There's been previous posts re. ramps, try also putting dog ramps in the search engine on line, it may give you some info.
Best bet though, if you know someone with one, try him out first on that, some dogs won't use one and it would be an expensive mistake if he won't. Does he put his paws onto the tail gate? our previous dogs did that then it was so easy just to hitch their back end in.
Good luck, hope you find a way of helping hubby.
rosndognme

Post by rosndognme »

You can buy folding ramps for motorbikes but they might be a bit ott for a dog - and maybe expensive. There should be lightweight ones available for trials bikes though, so maybe cheaper.

I think I saw a car dog ramp online a long time ago - I'll see if I still have the link

Edit: I just googled "dog ramps for cars" and there are loads of them :thumbsup:
Steve
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Steve »

Hi Julia have a look at this one its from Argos
Folding Dog Travel Ramp. 870/8335 £34.99
+ Free Delivery. Sorry I can't put the picture on (not clever enough) Steve. :2009:

http://argos.scene7.com/is/image/Argos/ ... 12&hei=312

hope this works!! :2029:
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Hi Julia,
We have a ramp made by a firm SOLVIT. It has a sliding aluminium frame with a non slip surface. It was designed for getting working dogs into pick uptrucks. It manages to fit across the footwell of the rear seats.
THe trouble with wooden folding ones is that they are not wide enough for a big Retrievers paws, and the slope is too great if you have a high back sill.
Hope this helps.
Pat , Syd & Katie
rosndognme

Post by rosndognme »

A photo for Harvey :1945:

lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Now that was definately brilliant thinking, just love that photo, one very happy dog.
julia

Post by julia »

Aah that's a lovel pic. If I show Harvey it might encourage him to use it when we get one :thumbleft
Lyn he won't even put his front paws on the car. Even though he isn't car sick any more he doesn't willingly jump in, but he absolutely loves going to Crosby and Windermere and anywhere else we take him to so there is no choice.
I have looked at a Solvit one on Easy Animal site, and it is even a bit cheaper than Amazon, though still £74, I tried to ring to order one today but no answer, they are based in Stafford so maybe snowed out of the office. The website gives really good advice on training them to get used to using it as well.
sammingtonsmythes

Post by sammingtonsmythes »

I know the problem!We have one we always use for our oldies.i would say the heavier the better really as slipping can make them not want to use them.Ours i cant remember the make im afraid it is folding and has carpet on it to stop slipping.Ellie was definately NOT going to use it but with a bit of treats and holding her collar to secure her from falling she got it in the end.Good luck xxx
julia

Post by julia »

Thank you all for the advice. I have ordered the solvit one from easy animal site. The site gives advice on training to get him used to the ramp, and he is a clever (sometimes too clever for us) young dog so I hope it will be a good buy for him and us.
Mark Andrew

Post by Mark Andrew »

rosndognme wrote:A photo for Harvey :1945:

Do you know what make that ramp is - Im in need of something similar for our 4x4

Great pic by the way
rosndognme

Post by rosndognme »

Mark Andrew wrote: Do you know what make that ramp is - Im in need of something similar for our 4x4
Great pic by the way
No, sorry. It was just something I found online. I have just searched for "car dog ramp retriever" and found the same photo but it linked me to an American site. I then searched in the UK for "car dog ramp" and found lots for sale. It would be a shame to waste all that searching ... here's another "photo for Harvey" :1945:

I don't know anything about this one either but it's about £120 in the UK
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

What great photos of a happy golden, does any one know if I can get one for me, I'm not as nimble as I was ? :thumbleft
rosndognme

Post by rosndognme »

Make sure you strap him in while driving :1967

lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

:1956: :1956: :1956:
Absolutely brilliant, laughed my socks off at that photo.