Say Hi to Amber

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

We have had Amber 9 days now and she has certainly settled in well - all 4 dogs have become great friends now and are comfortable with each others presence.

Amber is eating well and has now started to leave a few biscuits at each meal so i think we have now got past the starvation stage and also I think this is a sign that she realises that there will be food for her 3 times a day and she doesnt have to force as much down as possible..

All the dogs get breakfast and tea but Toby still has weetabix and warm milk for supper to make sure he gets plenty calcium for his bones - Amber is also on weetabix and warm milk at suppertime to help build her up as we didnt want to give her big portions and overload her tummy... its better for her to put weight on slowly over time rather than rush it..

The next problem we have to overcome is somewhat of an identity crisis... Our lovely Amber seems to have forgotten she is a golden retriever and seems to have it in mind that she is a cat!

janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Bless her, what a little sweetheart. Wonder where she learnt that trick. Definitely an identity crisis but loved the pictures.
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

... It hasn't done a great lot of good for the vertical blinds :D but she is happy and thats all that matters!!!

Think we might be buying net curtains soon :lol:
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

She's probably really bright and thinking..."if this is summer I'm having some of it now"...or I wonder if she's lived with cats and seen them do it?

Nice pics whatever the explanation?
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Great to hear and see how ambers doing :lol: she looks happy and content. four dogs must be a handfull, but you must be getting four times the love from them back. Please keep the photos coming, they do help to show how much love and enjoyment they can give ,just by seeing them. :lol:
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

It can be a bit chaotic at times but they are worth it.

Three of them are rescue dogs and there is nothing more heart-warming than seeing them happy, relaxed and well cared for (even if it means we can't get on the sofa!!) :D

Amber is such a sweet-natured, loving dog - we are thrilled to have her
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

I'm here, I like it, I'm gettin' better, I'm stopping and now i'm comfy!!

Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

She's bedded herself in there...looks so relaxed...bless her!
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

That picture says it all, doesn't it. She's there for good. Another happy Golden. How could anyone not love her :x
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

I've seen that look a thousand times

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

I seen that look a thousand times, 'my eyes are shut so I can't see you, nor can I hear you, so go and find yourself another chair and leave me alone in peace.'
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

What a lovely picture of a happy settled lady. Her coat is looking better already. Just shows what TLC can do
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

Well, its hard to imagine that we have had little amber for a month now - it feels like she has been here forever!

She has settled in really well and has certainly made herself at home. Her ears are now clear as far as I can see but we are back off to the vet later for her second injections so we will have them checked while we are there. Her feet seem to be healing nicely, the fur on her head has almost regrown and the bald patch on her back seems to have dried up and the fur seems to be coming back there as well - She is eating well and the runs seem to have gone away now her tummy has become used to regular food but I can see the nightly weetabix continuing for both Toby and Amber for some time to come.

Toby and Amber have become best buddies and playmates and for a 9 year old she has every bit as much energy as Toby!

Just so the others are not left out here's one of Amber, Ben and Toby - as you can see a biscuit always gets their attention!

Not to leave the other two out: introducing big Ben - 12 year old Lab who we foster for Lab rescue - I say foster but he aint going anywhere! He was 7stone and unable to walk and was probably going to be put to sleep but thanks to Lab rescue he is here with us, on monthly cartrophen injections and enjoying sensible walks (at his pace of course!).

When he came to us he had bad food aggression which caused a few 'interesting' situations so we suspended his diet, let things settle down and took time to deal with the issues of settling him down and letting the pack form itself again. Now, everything is ticking along nicely, the dogs have all established their position in the pack, the aggression has gone and all is peaceful. Now things are settled, he's back on Hills RD diet and we are aiming over the next few months to get him down from 7 stone to 6 stone. From there we will see what the vet thinks as he is a very big structured dog!

This is Chloe - I think we have had chloe for about 18 months but she too feels like a permanent resident! She was in a right old state when we got her - no fur on her back due to flea allergy, bleeding lumps on her, cancerous growths etc - the first week we had her, she had to be spayed and have all the lumps removed. She has turned into a wonderful loving girl. Our original Ben, the goldie in the logo never left her side all the time she was ill and continued to look after and protect her till the day he died. It was wonderful to see the relationship they had together.

So.... welcome to the clan at chez mullineaux - it can be challenging and frustrating at times - but when you look at the 3 rescue dogs enjoying their lives in a warm, safe and loving environment, find one sliding onto your knee for a love and cuddle or in the case of amber, sitting on the window bottom waiting for you to come home, its got to be the most rewarding thing there is - especially when you know how close they came to the end of their life

All are rescue dogs are 9 or older - we love the oldies.. so if you are thinking at any point in adopting a dog - please dont discount the older ones - you might not have as long with them but they can be even more rewarding than the younger ones
julie

Oldies are FAB!

Post by julie »

Thank you for sharing your beauties with us.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the 'extra specialness' that adopting an oldie can bring. They have so much love to give, are eager to give it and still have their daft moments to bring smiles and laughter.

My first boy came via dogs trust - a GSD / lab cross who looked a bit like a goldie - Sam came home aged 12.5yrs. Sadly we didn't have long with him, but he left us with fantastic memories and the knowledge that at some point we would offer a home to another needy one.

Next was Dan, another lab cross (with what is anybodies guess!). He was about 11yrs and a poorly boy, terribly thin and suffering with kennel cough but it didn't take him long to get his paws under the table, on the sofa .. you know the one. Recall training with him was fun(!?!); he'd dash past, race off with me trying to catch up, only to find he'd turned, was heading back to me and past yet again; the old boy act completely dropped. ps It's not easy to run in wellies!

Then Honey came home aged about 8yrs and our adventure continues...
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Thank you for all the lovely pictures and the stories. 4 very lucky dogs

I love the oldies as you all know. They are just wonderful
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

All your dogs storys would make a lovley film,and Im sure the tissue sales would go through the roof,the happy ending for them would have me blubbing at the end . Disney or Stephen Speilberg might be intrested.