Cushing's Disease

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

superjazz

Cushing's Disease

Post by superjazz »

Yesterday Katie spent six hours at the Vet having blood tests. She has always been a terrible scavenger and because she was overweight we cut her food down. So you do that and the scavenging gets worse ! The past few weeks she has been drinking vast amounts of water. Yesterday the Vet found out she had Cushing's disease. It causes chemicals to be released in her system which made her ravenous and thirsty. It can be treated so we will have to give her daily medicine for the rest of her life. She will also need regular blood test checks to see dose is correct.
Pat , Syd & Katie
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Cushing's Disease

Post by bentley »

I'm so sorry. What a terrible start to the year. I hope her medication sorts her out.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Poor Katie, hope her medication does the trick.
All the best to you all for the New year.
D & L W & Wxx
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

So sorry to hear about Katie. I hope the medication goes well.
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

The technical details are that she has a benign tumour on her pituitary gland and this causes a chemical Corsidol to be released into her systems and this is what causes this constant craving to eat and drink . Other side effects are a pot belly. Provide she has her daily medication and regular blood checks she will not die from it.
Pat , Syd and Katie
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi Pat & Syd,

I had never heard of this condition, so I looked it up! Poor Katie, lets hope her meds keep her well.... :bighug: s for her.
Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Jean, Ray and Ella xx
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

An update on Katie and the Cushings disease . She is still having Monthly blood tests to try and get the medication amount correct. The poor thing has bald front legs and now bald patches on her neck from the blood tests.Its not been easy getting blood from her. ( Its a bit like the Tony Hancock sketch of the blood donor) Still on the plus side she is very full of herself and full of enthusiasm for her walks. As you can imagine she has a strong dislike of her visits to the Vets. Its very stressful for her.
Hopefully by next Months visit the dosage will be correct.
Pat , Syd & Katie
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

I hope it will be right nest time. It is such a worry. Love to you all :love4
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Im so sorry. Poor Katie, she's been through it these last few months - as you have. Hugs for all of you. :bighug:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Sorry to hear the update on Katie, hope all goes well on her next visit. Love to you all from us. :love4