Everybody's going surfing!

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Everybody's going surfing!

Post by bentley »

Now that Mr Bentley lived by the sea he very rarely gets dirty anymore. His daily swim keeps him all lovely and clean albeit permanently wet and just a bit smelly. At least he smells like the sea now and not like a swamp monster like he used to.

The other day I was watching him jumping in to the waves and a thought occurred to me...well, that was an event on it's own. After six months of non stop b and b - ing I'm not capable of much thought other than 'shall I order more bacon in?'

Anyway, back to the plot...there I was watching him jumping through the waves and I thought "I know, I'll teach him to surf.'

Off we went into town to by him a nice surf board and ordered a doggie life jacket from Amazon.

In the 'teach your dpg to surf' tutorials on the internet it said to gently introduce the dog to the board.

WHAAAAAAAT???

Gently? He was jumping on and off it and skidding to a halt on it with a great big stupid grin on his face. he loved it!

Getting him off the flaming thing was the difficult bit!

I tried making it a wobble board by placing items underneath it. No problem.

We took him down to the beach to try it out in the water. he kept taking a running jump up to it. He loved it even more! He loves it so much that he pushed my granddaughter off it is he could have another go. The difficulty is getting him to calm down and listen to me, he's so excited by it all.

He's slowly getting the idea that he has to balance on it and today we had a major breakthrough. He actually managed to stay on it while while we pushed the board through the water. It was brilliant. His tail was wagging like crazy all the time. He's a proper water baby!

When he gets a bit better at it I'll post a video for you.

On an entirely different note..you'll be thrilled to know that his epilepsy tablets are finally doing their job and he hasn't had a fit for *touch wood* over three weeks now. He was struggling to get beyond ten days before. Happy days!!!
julia

Re: Everybody's going surfing!

Post by julia »

I would love to see that.nglad he is well.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Can't wait to see the video , hope the tablets are still working , missing seeing him at fun day. But he is having such a great life . Hope he knows how lucky he is and how much he's loved. :love4
Cobi's Mum

Post by Cobi's Mum »

Glad that his epilepsy tablets are working, it's frightening, our little Abigail was epileptic from the age of 4.
Looking forward to seeing Bentley surfin', Beach Boys music with it Lesley? Perhaps see him on BBC News Channel?
Dancing and surfing no end to Bentley's talents.... and 'they' (I refer to humans that don't like dogs) have the nerve to say 'dumb animals'......I don't think so.... :1960

Glad the B & B is going well..... I love bacon (and I don't care whether it's good for me or not)

Lynda, Les and Cobi :love4
bentley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by bentley »

Thanks, everyone for your comments. Bentley's surfing career hasn't progressed much further since I posted originally, i've had the time or the weather but not both at the same time and now the weather has turned a bit colder we won't be doing it again until I get myself a nice winter weight wet suit.
f1

He's still going for his daily swim though. It's the highlight of his day. If we go for a walk to the woods or the moors he just mooches around until we set off back into the direction of home when he perks up, speeds up and wiggles up the path as fast as he can. Why? Because he knows the way home takes us past the beach! He really is a water baby.

Here he is at Cockington Country Park a little while ago - while he was still nice and dry.

I'll post some water baby pics soon.

His epilepsy is improving. He managed a whole two and a half months without having a fit. That's the longest since he was diagnosed. We were delighted.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

nice to hear from you Lesley and to see such a super picture of Bentley as handsome as ever. Pleased his problem is more under control :love4
Cobi & Ginnie's Mum

Post by Cobi & Ginnie's Mum »

My, my, Bentley what lovely teeth you have !!!

Lesley glad to hear that Bentley's fits are becoming fewer.

Handsome 'boy dog'. :love5