I received the training book and was pleasantly surprised

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Cobi and Ginnies Mum

I received the training book and was pleasantly surprised

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

A few days ago I received the training book advertised on the home page and was pleasantly surprised. Thinking that I 'knew it all' and having had dogs from childhood (aged 10yrs, Oh my goodness that's 42 years ago !!!) to then our own dogs, all have been goldens, and some goldens can have a very stubborn streak :!: so over a cup of tea I read the book, just got to teach my two to read it now! and then cast a spell on our Ginnie who is the most stubborn of any retriever I've ever known. :lol:
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Rose was a wonderful trainer she taught me everything I know she helped me to train our Paddy when he was an adolesant hooligan, :lol: her no nonsense training methods,are easy to follow and certainly make sense.
The "leave it" is used every day for my two,and she has helped to train countless dogs, hope you enjoy the book.

She is sadly missed by many of us...
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

reply to 'Hairydog'

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

A lot of it is common sense but well written with a touch of humour, and there are a couple of commands that I haven't used before but will try out.

I use 'leave it' usually when there is a chance of my little cherubs rolling or eating something 'unsavoury' whilst out walking, I used 'wait' when training our previous goldens when walking them past sheep, cows and deer, Ginnie does not respond to this whatsoever,(so it's the training lead for sinful Ginful) it sometimes registers with Cobi,(only walk where there are deer ) but the one word I use after a command if they have chosen to ignore me is NOW, it's usually when they are mooching in our garden and I want them to come in quicker than they want,and it is said with such firmness even my Husband takes notice!