pink nose

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lisa

pink nose

Post by lisa »

hi everyone

charlie's nose slowly went pink in the autumn. checked manual and it said he has pink nose, mostly female dogs get it. it also said it should go black again in the summer.

it is changing slightly.

was wondering if any of your dogs have it, and do i need to put sun cream on his nose until it goes black again.
thanks
lisa
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

A lot of Goldens have pink noses Lisa, they do have a tendency to pink up in Autumn. Pigment tends to come back in summer, but don't hold your breath, it will darken up a little.
As for sun cream, don't know.Maybe someone else got thoughts on that one. It certainly will be tricky keeping it on. Have you ever noticed how many times thier tongues come out to lick? :)
John

Post by John »

Both Goldens and Labradors can loose a certain amount of pigmentation over the winter, and logically it is called "Winter Nose"! Yes Winter nose would normally improve in the spring, but it could be that pigmentation is not quite as good as it could me in which case it may never go back to being "Perfect."

As some of you know, I'm a Labrador person (please dont shoot me.) and chocolate Labs are often not the best when it comes to pigmentation and yellows in a chocolate litter are often the worst. One of my bitches was a yellow out of a chocolate bitch and had a really pink nose.

But although the pigmentation is not as good as it could be the important thing is that yes, there is some pigmentation and this will provide a measure of protection from the sun. There are dogs which are at risk from the sun. One I can think of being the Mexican Hairless. But really, there are not too much problems with Labradors and Goldens.

But that's not to say that we should not give them a bit of help on hot days. In my days of working Obedience we used to cool our dogs down before going in the ring by pouring a little water on the neck. These days I have towelling jackets (from Country mun) for my dogs to keep them warm at the end of a long hard day working in the field in the middle of winter. On a hot summers day I press these jackets into service again, soaked in cold water they will keep the dogs lovely and cool whilst at a working test, out for a walk or simply messing about in the garden!

Regards, John
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

You are an absolute mine of information John. What a good idea those towelling jackets. Thank you.
Jan
bronson

Post by bronson »

Thanks for the tip about the towels,as we tried just an ordernary towel wet it and that does cool Bronson down.Bronson nose is starting to turn black now as it did this last year.The Thornit powder is still doing the trick a pinch every week keeps the vets at bay.This has really saved money with the vets as by now you can bet we have had two visits to the vets for his ears.