Gordon's story

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

gordons mum and dad
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Gordon's story

Post by gordons mum and dad »

Hello there, it's Gordon's Mum here. This is all new to me, so please excuse any mistakes, and please let me know where I am going wrong. Anyway here goes. Our first dog Yoko was a collie x, we had her from being 6 weeks old until she finally went to rest at the age of 16 in March 2003. As you will know, this broke our hearts, as she really was our baby! She certainly had helped us through the many trials of life. We were determined that we would never have to go through the loss of a "member of the family" again!! So for 14 months we became a doggy hotel, looking after friends dogs when they were on holiday etc. In May 2004 it seemed the right time to accept another "family member" into our lives. We thought long and hard about the type of dog we should open our home to. Whilst we were open as the doggy hotel a friend our ours, Andrew, asked us to look after his retriever, Bennie. Bennie was the best behaved dog we had looked after, and guess where he had come from, Jan at the Retriever Rescue. So one Sunday morning in May 2004, I gave Jan a call to see if she had any retrievers in for rehoming. Well we weren't disappointed!! Jan said she had an older man in, about 7 years old, and he was a big dog. I said I would have prefereed an older lady, as I thought our walks with a dog would be a case of stopping at every tree etc... After thinking about "the dog", all of about 10 minutes, I called Jan back and asked if we could meet him. We had to wait until after lunch, and it was agony! Off we went to the kennels, and who should come "lolloping" out to meet us but Gordon - all seven and a half stone of him! Well, it was love at first sight.... Jan said we could go home and think about it, but our answer was "we're not leaving without him"! Gordon arrived home with us, had a look in every room in the house, and then settled himself down on the rug in the lounge as if to say "this'll do". So far we have had three great years with Gordon, he is well known in the village, and is known as "Gorgeous Gordon of Golborne". Everyone stops to talk to Gordon, never his mum and dad. Gordon has brough so much to our lives, and we wonder why we didn't do this sooner - but then we wouldn't have got our Gordon. Hope you all enjoyed our story, and hopefully it will encourage someone to think about rehoming a retriever, they really are dogs full of character, and quirky little ways. Once I find out how to post a picture on here you'll all be able to see just how gorgeous Gordon is. Thanks for reading this. Carole (Gordon's mum)
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Thanks for yoru lovely story abour gordon, the boys are just as lovely and have great characters...perhaps a pic next time.. :D
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Hi there Gordon's mum & Dad,

loved your story I remember it wll. Look forward to seeing you at the Fun Day. Hope we have better weather this time,

luv

Jan xx Big hug for Gorgeous
beaverboy

Post by beaverboy »

Good weather please, please, please! hahaha!
BeaverBoy's Mum wrote:Gorgous Gordon of Golborne
is what my mum calles Gorden when we are talking about the forum!
gordons mum and dad
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by gordons mum and dad »

I'm sorry I still haven't mastered how to post a picture yet, I will do eventually. Anyway you'll all be able to see Gordon at the fun day, and he'll be looking as gorgeous as ever because he is having his bath this weekend!!