How I miss him

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

Charlies Dad

How I miss him

Post by Charlies Dad »

Charlie my beautifull Golden Retriever.
We rescued Charlie from the RSPCA when he was 8 months old.
When he came to us it was his third home in his short life, so he was pretty mixed up and did a lot of damage to our home at first.
At 5 years old he went totally blind. but he was still a very happy dog.
He then had thyroid problems at 8 years old and lived the rest of his life on tablets.
He was so loving and wonderfull with my grandkids.
He sadly died two years ago at the age of 12 and only now can I bring myself to thinking about having another one.
The pain of losing him has taken a long time to heal.
CarolynM
Senior User
Senior User

Post by CarolynM »

Hello Charliesdad and welcome to the site.

It was lovely to hear about Charlie. I don't think the pain of losing them ever goes, it just lessens bit by bit and then the happy memories replace the sad ones.

We adopted Ben (from Jan, the lady that runs NW Golden Retriever Rescue) when he was 2. He was such a character, so loving and in-your-face. He too developed thyroid problems about a year ago and did really well on the medication.

Unfortunately he collapsed on Easter Sunday this year and died the next day at the Small Animal Hospital on the Wirrall.

It affects the whole family, we also have 2 rescued old girls from Labrador Rescue and they didn't eat for days. We went out and got a goldie puppy within a few weeks and watching Toby grow and become a little character has eased the pain but he will never replace Ben in our hearts.
labres1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by labres1 »

As Carolyn says, loosing your Goldie is a traumatic time, whether it be through old age or suddenly.

Ben was the pack leader but so in your face, demanding your attention, love and fusses all the time. When he died it left a huge gap in our lives and extremely traumatic for us, the kids and the other dogs.

Even now, thinking about him brings a tear to my eyes as he was definatley a daddys boy.

We now have little Toby. As much as we love our rescue dogs, and will have more in the future, we decided that we would have one we could bring up from being a puppy, watching him develop and learn things as he grew. Noone will ever replace Ben but I do have to say that its lovely having the little chap around.

He was never intended as a replacement and has never been seen as one but having him and the girls around has certainly helped us cope with the loss of Ben..

I'm sure when the right dog turns up you will know and will find it very comforting knowing that once again you are making a difference to a dog that needs someone to love and care for it and, as Carolyn said, it will help the hurt turn into loving memories you can enjoy..
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Thanks for your story on charlie,but we all know how you are feeling we have all been there and done that. goldens are such characters they are known as the "clowns" of the retreiver world and they certainly live up to that...we lost our Lab ben at 14 and a half he had a wonderful life with us,after being rescued at 5 weeks old, we lost him within 36 hrs died with a splenic tumor, then we waited 6 weeks and got Paddy as a pup at 7weeks.
He has certainly changed our lives we could not get over how affectionate he was and in true golden style had to literally sit on your knee for a hug which he still does at 40kg. :) ..we also now have Lucy his half sister she too is a character and loves to love you by climbing on your knee and lying on you...

When you feel ready to take on another Golden of course you wont forget charlie, but there is always goldens out there looking for a new home and if you took on another think of it as a compliment to Charlie as you are giving another golden a wonderful home....
glenys

Post by glenys »

Its is so Sad to lose a much loved dog we have lost two this year,I still fill up with tears just thinking of them, and all the dogs over the years still a special place in our hearts.

Sending Hugs xx

Glenys x