Robby

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

barmpot

Robby

Post by barmpot »

We rescued Robby ( aka The Robster) from York RSPCA in 2002, were he,d been put (yet again) by a divorcing couple who couldnt decide who had custody of him. We'd visited him twice at the kennels and each time his imploring looks at us screamed " get me outta here"!
Imagine my surprise when I came home a day later ,saw Robby and said,"is he visiting?" "No" my wife said, "He's home!" He was dreadfully overwieght at 42 kg but with Fat club and plenty of excecise he got down to 36kg within 12 months.
He was a dog reborn and spent many happy times running up mountains and fells in the Lakes and Dales,visiting Pubs ,and charming everyone he met!.
He was a true friend to the last and passed way this week aged, we think approx 9 years old.
Our house is like an empty tomb with deafening silence.
Well never ever forget him, but I know he's ok and would want us to adopt one of his kinfolk again.
lulu's mum

Post by lulu's mum »

I'm so sorry to hear about Robby. This must be an awful time for you. Robby sounds a wonderful dog, and he was very lucky you could give him a fantastic second chance to live a good, healthy life in a loving home. I'm sure when the time is right you'll be able to help another of Robby's kin ( :) ) who desperately needs your help.
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

it is so hard to deal with when you lose a rescue dog , the time we have with them is never long enough but Robby must have had a wonderful life with you and that is what you have to think about now. He would have known that you loved him and in time the pain will ease and you will be ready to help another Golden to a happier life. Sometimes that is in a few weeks but sometimes it takes months.
barmpot

Robby

Post by barmpot »

Thank you both for your kind words. Wendy and I will probably make a decision on adoption after our august holidays. we hope to be in touch with you Jan after then. :)
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Hope you have a wonderful holiday Robbie will always be in your heart so you will never forget him.
If you do decide to adopt again Jan is awlays there for help and advice she has had countless years of experience with Golden Retreivers,so can answer any questions you may have.
glenys

Post by glenys »

This although written for a pup means the same thing I hope you take comfort in it:

I will Lend

I will lend to you a pup, God said,
For you to love him while he lives
and to mourn him when he is dead.
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years
or maybe two or three
but will you, till I call him back
take care of him for me?

He'll bring his charms to gladden you
and (should his stay be brief)
you'll always have his memories
as solace for your grief.