Ears

Discuss health issues, for example teething problems, vaccinations etc

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Ears

Post by lynn wise »

Anyone got a good tip for cleaning ears?
Years ago, a Labrador friend told me to use Witch Hazel. I moisten a pad of cotton wool (the makeup ones are good ) and gently wipe the leather and canal. It works brilliantly, but have often wondered if I am doing right.
All thoughts appreciated.
superjazz

Re: Ears

Post by superjazz »

Lynn, you could borrow Candy . She likes washing Big Jazz's ears and face. !!! :thumbsup:
We did get a milky lotion from the vet which was a purpose ear cleaner. Jazz has not been bothered much by his ears of late.
Most of his past problems have been brought on by putting his head under water when fishing.
Pat , Syd, Jazz & Candy
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Thornit every time, also I get my two groomed every 6 weeks and the ears hair inside clipped so the air can get to the ear, luckily so far no problems...
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

I've used Thornit for more years than I care to remember. Think its a great product. :thumbsup:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Thanks for all the recommendations for Thornit...Have just placed order with Petmeds.

Will someone give me advice on how to administer, ta very much.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

The Thornit I get comes with instructions. If its in a little bottle, I put a small amount on the back of a spoon and put it in the ear (not right down).

Years ago, it used to come in a 'puffer' bottle which I think was a lot easier.

One of my dogs keeps nibbling her feet and I put some Thornit in a plastic bag and then put her foot in it.

She's not touching them at the moment, but maybe because she doesnt like the smell.

Hope its worked or else its off to the vet to find out whether its mites or not.
hope

Post by hope »

solo my only golden left has just had an op for his ears. they kept filling up . the vet said its usually blood but luckily it was clear he had it drained 3 times but it was so full last time they took him in. he is in such a sorry state ,crying, just so sad. he has the trumpet on and keeps bumping into everything , he shakes his head and its now bleeding again. at the moment bathing it. he was too poorly to come home yesterday but we got him back today ,sat. back at the vet on monday. think we now have a season ticket. how glad i am for pet insurance. :2039:
superjazz

Post by superjazz »

Poor Solo , we hope he gets well soon. Ear trouble is not pleasant. Our Jazz used to get ear trouble and we needed to give him long courses of Aurizon from the Vet. Hope the op is successful. Best wishes for Solo.
P, S, J & C
janrobinson
Rescue Co-ordinator
Rescue Co-ordinator

Post by janrobinson »

Haematomas in the ear flap are a nightmare. If I have had them drained I usually, against advice I must add, very gently massage the ear to avoid another build up and in every case this has worked.
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

I Hope Solo is alright, its worrying when the same problem keeps reappearing. :2005:
hope

Post by hope »

thank you so much for your replys , it helps to know other people are at the end of the screen, thank you xx solo been back to the vets, he did say there was a lot of blood in the ear when he had his op. cant have stiches out for 2 weeks. do you know i think its so antiquinted those plastic trumpets, they are uncomfortable and very sharp, so have ordered a comfy collar, it looks so much better and i am sure it will be more comfortable for solo bless him. you would think perhaps in this day and age and vets fees they would be more forward thinking and make your faithful companion comfortable instead of trying to slice their neck off. i will try to get a photo of solo and our beloved krusoe who has passed . . love you all and thank you .xxxx :2081:
hope

Post by hope »

[img]http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/mhmx/002-1.gif[/IM%20this%20is%20KRUSOE%20who%20passed%2010th%20march%202009%20a%20wonderful%20dog....%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20[IMG]http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/ ... res008.jpg[/img]. kru and solo.... i hope i have done this right ,bet i havnt but i had a go if its wrong can anyone sort my bad computer skills out .
hope

Post by hope »

so sorry everyone what a load of rubbish i am with p.c's apologies x
Eastonwolfs

Post by Eastonwolfs »

I think Krusoe is here... :1963

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/mhmx/002-1.gif

And the two of them together here...

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/ ... res008.jpg

Love it!!! What a pair!!! :1960
Last edited by Eastonwolfs on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Lovely photo of the 2 of them. What is it about socks?