Codie arrives!!!

Share your story about your rescue dog -good or bad

Moderators: CarolynM, janrobinson

gordons mum and dad
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Codie arrives!!!

Post by gordons mum and dad »

Well hello everyone, I am now back on line after moving house!!!. We have left a four bed house and moved to a two bed bungalow - the only saving grace is that we have a garden for our TWO doggies. Yes not only do we cope with the most strenuous move of my life, no thanks to Mr K, but we have a new arrival in our family as well.

Whilst talking to Jan on the phone a few weeks ago, I casually asked her was she busy at the kennels? Lethal!!! For a while now we had both been considering another golden but weren't sure how our Gordon would cope. Anyway Jan just happened to mention that she had a little girl in who she thought would be great with our Gordon. I said OK, finished our conversation and put the phone down. Told Bob what Jan had said, and yes you guessed it phoned Jan back, but I did wait until the morning. Jan told us that Codie was nearly eight years old and was good with other dogs. I said we would go and see her over the weekend, well we didn't get that far, and on the Friday morning I rang Jan to ask if we could see Codie that afternoon, of course the answer was yes. So off we set with Gordon in the car with us. First of all Bob and I met Codie, and took her off for a walk, then under Jan's guidance Bob kept hold of Codie and I got Gordon out of the car. We just all walked, and sniffed, together. I asked Jan what she thought, and she felt everything would be OK but of course it was for us to decide. Well she had to come home with us didn't she. Both Gordon and Codie jumped in the back of the car, and there was not a murmur on the way home. When we got back things were generally OK, and if I'd not been there I'm sure things would have been a lot better. For the first two days I was on the phone to Jan almost on the hour, every hour, whenever Gordon and Codie did something I wasn't sure about. All Jan kept saying was get on with your own life and leave them to it - and do you know IT'S WORKED!!! Codie has settled really well, although she does snore very loudly, is a pig for everybody's food, and thieves anything she can find that remotely smells of food. Gordon is just like a gentle giant with her, if she pinches his toy he will try for about 30 seconds to get it back and then gives up. They are just getting to the stage where they are starting to cuddle up together at night. I will try to get some pictures for you all, but if I can't we'll see you at the fun day. A big thankyou to Jan, you knew it would work!!! Carole xx :love4
sonia
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Codie arrives!!!

Post by sonia »

Arh Carole thats great news :thumbleft I can't wait to see some pictures of her and Gordon.
Ella snores to :1968 and she is defo the boss, poor Brad but he is such a gentleman and lets her get away with it.
At the moment she is being a bad girl and trying to mount Troy :2008: I mean whats that all about :2009:
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Hi Carole,
What fantastic news, I'm so pleased for you all. Pleased to hear that Gordon is taking it in his stride. I guess Codie isn't a blonde!! It is a bit worrying bringing an older dog into an established routine, but they seem to adjust easier than us. There's that thought that you must referee every event, but the dogs just get on with it. Oh, and they do so like the company that another dog gives.
Well Done again, see you at Fun Day. xxxxx

Oh, and WELCOME CODIE :love4
Cobi and Ginnies Mum

Post by Cobi and Ginnies Mum »

Lovely news a pal for Gordon (as my other half says, the female of the species is always the boss !!!)

Ginnie snores louder than Cobi, but Cobi lets out blood curdling howls when she is asleep, we hope she is not remembering her 'previous life' before us, but they both wag their tails when they are asleep.

Any photographs of Gordon and Codie please?
gordons mum and dad
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by gordons mum and dad »

Thankyou for your replies. I really will try and sort out the photographs. Think our Codie must be coming into season as our Gordon (as Jan would say) is getting all unnecessary today! Lynn you are absolutely right about letting them get on with things and not having to referee, once you learn that things happen a lot more easily. Also Codie is not a blonde, you remembered our Gordon doesn't like blondes! She is very much the colour of Gordon, and makes us call her "mini me". Thanks once again, and will keep you all posted of forthcoming antics - I'm sure there will be many xx
lynn wise
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lynn wise »

Lovely to hear from you so soon Carole, Just had a thought. So excited about "mini me", that I forgot about the house move. Hope all went well, it's such a traumatic carryon to say the least. Hoping you and Bob are settled in.

Lynn xxxx
lenny
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lenny »

Good luck in your new house, and your new dog, I must admit the first part of your story of the phone call with Jan reminds me so much of mine, Im sure Jan never says anything first ,she lets you bring up the subject and will never push you, but once you say you will go to see her there is only one outcome, you will be coming home with your new addition. How can you come away and leave a homeless goldie still in the kennels. Im sure under some circumstances there is no other option, but my mind is always made up before Ive set off and the cheque wrote out.Looking foward to the photos,and yes the lady in our house is the boss, at least in the doggie world that is (ps )dont tell the wife about the last comment though :2008:
Ellas mum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ellas mum »

Hi Carole,

A big welcome to Codie, lovely that she's found her new home with you. With Gordon as her new big brother, she won't go far wrong :thumbleft

Talking about snoring, we were on the way home from our walk last night, coming down a quiet country lane, when suddenly, Ella stopped and shot back up the lane. We shouted and she came back, then off she went again. she did this 3 times so we followed her. As we rounded the corner she was stood looking over a wall, head cocked. We could hear a very loud grunting noise. On closer inspection, we saw three sheep, all asleep....snoring :1967

All good wishes :love4
Caro_D

Post by Caro_D »

Lovely to read theyve all settled well. Well done you, I soooo love happy endings !
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Lovely story male/female is a lovely combination, now looking forward to pictures of them both... :1999: